Chapter 34 - "All not well..."

Murthy House: Kitchen: 8:50 pm

Manik presses Nandini more to the wall as a light jingle sound is heard outside of the kitchen. Nandini wriggles in his hold. Manik puts a finger on his lips and rolls his eyes.

Manik: (Whispers) "Shhhhh...keep quiet. Nehi to tumhari Amms pura ghar sarpe utha legi. (Or else your Amms will make the biggest fuss over this.)"

In reply, she only makes her eyes wider. The person whose jingling footsteps were heard finally appears in the kitchen. Without looking back, Manik pushes Nandini more towards the crockery cupboard and hides behind it. A trailing sound of something metallic alerts their ears. Nandini tries to remove his palm from her mouth but Manik grips it more tightly. The sound that something metallic has been dragged over the floor stops near the cupboard. Manik's whole body stiffens in anticipation. All fault is Nandini's. Neither did she get late nor did he enter like a thief. Manik looks at Nandini who is standing like a mute doll under his captivity. She lifts her hands and places them behind her ears and then starts flapping them continuously. It seems like she is trying to make Manik understand something. However, Manik takes it as teasing. He rolls his eyes at her.

Manik: (In mind) "Mujhe chidana bandh karo. (Stop mocking me) Agar main pakda gaya to tumbhi pakdi jaogi. (If I get caught then you will get caught as well) Aur main bol dunga ki tumnehi mujhe bulaya hain. Pongal khaneke liye. (And I will tell them that you only called me to have Pongal.)"

On the other hand, when Nandini failed to make him understand what she is actually trying to indicate, she curls his fingers and starts scratching the air or an imaginary wall, gesturing like a puppy. Manik again widens his eyes at her.

Manik: (In mind) "Yeh ladki daarke mare pagal ho gai hain kya? Azeeb harkate kar rahi hain. (Has this girl gone mad due to fear? She is doing weird things.)"

Nandini becomes restless now. But before she can continue her dumb charades, something or it should be said someone tugs the hem of Manik's jeans. He gets startled and jumps in his place. His hold on her become loose and she immediately frees herself. Before Ador can make any noise, Nandini picks him up in her lap and covers his mouth with her hand. The jingling sound was coming from the chain attached to his dog collar.  

Nandini: (Whispers) "Shhhhh...Adduuu...it's Manik. See...Manik. You know him, right?"

Ador looks at Manik with his button eyes and stiffens his ears like two antennas. It seems his clever brain caught the signal. Manik sighs in relief. Ador can be managed easily. Their liking each other is mutual. His biggest fear is Amms. She doesn't understand any logic. Now, where is this written that before marriage girls and boys can't meet each other? And here they are legally wedded husband and wife. Deprived of the fearless romance. Damn!

Nandini: (Affectionately) "Adduuu...You know right Amms has forbidden Manik to come over here until we get married? But I called him. Now, save us from Amms. Do something."

She strokes his fur and he purrs in delight. God knows what he understood but his body language indicates that somebody challenged his chivalry.

Ador: "Grrrrr....bhook...bhook. (Ghabrao maat Nandu. Mere hote huye koi Manik jiju ka bal bhi baka nehi kar payega. Don't panic, Nandu. Nobody can harm Manik bro when I am here.)"

He jumps from Nandini's lap, licks Manik's feet quickly and runs towards the dining area. Manik turns to Nandini with pop-up eyes.

Manik: (Puzzled) "Now, what was that? Don't tell me he understood your words and my reputation and life are now dependent on his smartness."