Chapter 32 -"Cultural shock..."

Shrikant Malhotra's car: On the way to Murthy House: 6:30 pm

Almost the whole family of Malhotra except Shrikant and Manik is going to Murthy house. The hi-tea invitation eventually changed to dinner. Initially, Dhruv was not sort listed but at the last moment, some twist forced him to accept this challenge. Since then, he is driving the car with all agitation on his face. Nyonika was trying to cheer up his mood but it seems that he is adamant to not to be melted down by any flattery.

Nyonika: (Sternly) "What happened to you? Intna muh phoolake kyun baitha hai? (Why are you sitting with this grumpy face)"

Dhruv doesn't answer her question and keeps driving with a sulky face.

Kauser: (Quips) "Kahi tu Ador se to nehi daar raha? (Aren't you afraid of Ador, right?)"

A suppressed giggle passes through Dhruv's ear.

Dhruv: (Whine) "You all know how terribly he treats me. Still, you both are dragging me to his den. Uparse hasbhi rahe ho. (Top of that, you are laughing)"

Nyonika: "Then what can we do? Your Dad is busy. Manik can't go as KishoriJi forbade Nandini and Manik to meet before marriage...I mean rituals. Aur aain waqt pe driver ko tatti lag gai. (And on the eleventh hour the driver got loose motion). Ab tu hi tha jo gaddi chala sakta si. (Now, you were the only person who can drive the car) Sadi majburi nu samaj puttar. (Understand our compulsion, dear)"

Dhruv: (Almost crying) "Haan, sabki majburi main hi samjhu. (Yes, I am the only one who should understand everyone's compulsion) Meri koi nehi sunta. (Nobody listens to me). Do you have any idea how ferocious that dog is? Uske daant dekhe? (Have you seen his teeth?) Mujhe dekhte hi bahar nikal ate hain.(They come out just by seeing me) I hate dogs!"

Dhruv chides in frustration while veering the car to take the last turn for Nandini's house. Kauser is sitting in the passenger seat. She strokes his cheek with affection.

Kauser: (Affectionately) "Koi na. (Leave it) Tu mere bagal me baitha rahiyo. Ador kuch nehi karega. (You just sit beside me. Ador won't do anything)"

Nyonika again tries to stop her laughter but the sound reaches Dhruv's ears. He rolls his eyes at both.

Dhruv: (Snaps) "Bachha nehi hu main. (I am not a kid) I can protect myself."

He throws his fist in the air.

Nyonika: (Gestures a kiss) "Achha, kar lio protect khudko. Ab jaldise pouchade mainu. (Okay, protect yourself. Now, get me over there soon)"

As she finished the word, the car reaches the Murthy house's main entrance. Dhruv glances at his watch. It's sharp 7 pm. A light barking sound comes out from inside. Bhauuuu...Bhook. Dhruv licks his lips while gulping the saliva. Every dog has its day.

........................................

Malhotra House: Manik's room: 1 hour earlier

Manik was getting ready to head to Nandini's place as per the plan, meanwhile, his phone rings. Nandini calling. The name on the screen brings an instant smile to his face. He picks up the call while applying gel to his thick hair.

Manik: (Flirty tone) "Hmmmm...Jaan. Yearning to have me?"

Nandini: (Angrily) "Stop your flattery and listen to me very carefully."

Manik sprays the perfume and plummets himself on the couch.

Manik: "Hmmmmm....tell me. I am all ears...unromantic Nandu."