Chapter 24 - "Love birds' new confidant..."

Outside of the Sub-register court: Kashmere Gate: Delhi: 3:35 pm:

All come out of the building when Dhruv's eyes fall on a small gathering in the corridor. Suddenly something strikes his mind.

Dhruv: (Petrifyingly) "Oh Shit!"

Manik: (Quizzically) "What happened?"

Dhruv: "Lagta hain Pungi ka pungi abhi tak baj raha hain. (It seems Pungi's drum is still beating)"

Manik squints his eyes at his brother.

Dhruv: (In a hurt tone) "Why are you always after my friendship? Poor soul. He just tried to help us."

Without saying anything further, Dhruv rushes to the crowd. All the rest look at each other's baffled faces and then follow him at a hasty pace. When they near the crowd, a funny sound reaches their ears. It seems that some people are playing Kabaddi. But in the court premises? Manik and Nandini look at each other with puzzled faces and get through the mass. The view makes them raise their brows. Kunal Pungi is trying to catch that cow owner and the man is dodging him efficiently with continuous kabaddi...kabaddi chant. Kunal is well-built and frisky. However, it seems that the cow owner is quite an expert kabaddi player. He has good control of his breath and he is agile. Once Kunal almost grabbed him but at the end moment, he contorts his body in such a way that Kunal couldn't control his balance and falls flat on the ground. The cow owner immediately touches him and shouts,

The Cow owner: (Yell) "Kabaddiiiiii...Out!..Main jeet gaya...main jeet gaya... (I won...I won)

The crowd also hoot for the cow owner as if he has won a competition. Dhruv steps forward and helps Kunal to get up. His whole face is covered with dust. He is looking like a ghost who has lost his disappearing power.

Dhruv: (Yells disappointedly) "What is happening here?"

He turns at the cow owner who is still jumping with raised hands.

Dhruv: "Hey...Kabaddi champion? Tum abhi bhi yaha kyun ho? (Why are you still here?) Aur yeh kya koi kabaddi ground hain jaha tum apna paitre dikha rahe ho? (And is this a kabaddi ground that you are showing your raid and tricks?)"

Manik comes forward. He is also hell confused.

Manik: "Hold on...hold on...Dhruv, I told you to give him the money. Have you?"

Kunal: (Almost in a crying voice) "Yohi to. (That is) Dhruv didn't give him the money. Aur yeh sala mere piche khula Saand ki tarha pad gaya hain. (And this rascal came after me like an astray bull) You all were inside the Magistrate's room. He saw me with all of you and started demanding the money. Why? Why should I give him money? Kidnapping ki charge bhi lage mujhpe aur paise bhi main du? (Kidnapping charges are imposed on me, still, I have to give the money?) Yeh kaha ka insaaf hain? (What kind of justice is it?)"

Kunal looks at the court building with his black eyes surrounded by white dust. It might be a pitiful gesture but the situation, reason and physical condition of Kunal don't permit the people around him to feel pity for him. Rather than they split their sides. Dhruv takes out a 500 rs note from his pocket and gives it to the cow owner. He takes it in such a way as if Dhruv has rewarded him for his win in the match. Dhruv gestures for him to leave. Enough of the drama. Now, they have to focus on other things. The cow owner was about to turn on his heels when his eyes fall on Nandini. He shows his tobacco-stained broken teeth.

The cow owner: (In an amused tone) "Madam, aglibar saree pahenke shadi karna. (Madam, next time get married in a saree) Isme app jocker lag rahe ho...He..he...(You are looking like a joker in this attire...He...he)

Nandini rolls her eyes at him. Rituja observes her daughter and in the next moment bursts into laughter. One by one, Manik, Dhruv, Shahid, Kunal and the whole crowd join her.

The cow owner: (With an ear-to-ear smile) "Shadi Mubarak ho, Madam. (Congratulations, Madam) Dawat pe bulana jarur (Please invite me to the party). Agar main na hota to appka kya hota? He..he...(What would have happened to you If I hadn't been there? He...he)"

........................................

On the way home: 4 pm:

Shahid and Kunal left for their home while Manik and Nandini are on Manik's bike and Dhruv is taking Rituja on Harshad's bike. Both the bikes are running side by side as all are still arguing on a matter.

Rituja: (Sternly) "But how can you take Nandu to your home when nobody in your family is aware of this marriage? No, I can't permit this. Your parents may insult or abuse my daughter."

Manik: "Amma, Dad and Dadi will never insult Nandini. Yes, Dad may pull my ears but Dadi will welcome both of us wholeheartedly."

Rituja: "And your mother?"

Manik keeps mum for a while,

Manik: (Determinedly) "I will make her understand. She has to understand."

Rituja: (Angrily) "Stop! Stop the bike. Everybody, get down."

Both the bikes abruptly stop and Rituja jumps off and nears Nandini. She holds her by the forearm and makes her stand in front of Manik.

Rituja: "Just look at her. From which angel she is looking like a newly wedded bride? Even if your family wants to accept her as their daughter-in-law, they will reject her for this look. Marriage is not a joke, Manik. At least think logically. At least make the situation in favour that Nyonika likes her as your bride."

Manik, Nandini and Dhruv all start looking at each other's confused faces. There is logic in Rituja's words.

Manik: "I brought the saree. She can wear."

Rituja: "Where? Mid of this road? Are you mad?"

Manik slouches and bends his head in his stupidity. Really! He didn't think this way.

Rituja: "Look! You told me that initially, your plan was to maintain this secret marriage as a secret until you both get a proper chance to reveal it. But unfortunately, or fortunately (She rolls her eyes at both of them) when this secret is partially revealed I have a suggestion as a member of this gang."

All widen their eyes at Rituja. Gang? Really?

Rituja: (Sounds like an excited teenager) "In my opinion, let this secret be secret for a while. You both go to your own home as if nothing happened. Meanwhile, I will try to convince Amma and Vimesh. In fact, I will meet Nyonika to make her understand how all this was a misunderstanding. Gradually, both the family will start to think in our way. Then we will reveal the truth."

Nandini: (In a shaky voice) "But if your effort won't get fruitful? If the situation remains the same. Then what will happen, Amma?"

All remain silent for a moment.

Rituja: (Determinedly) "Then I will stand against my family. Nothing is more important than my daughter's happiness and future."

Gradually a peaceful smile appears on Nandini's lips. She tightly hugs her mother. Manik hesitates for a moment and then he hugs both the ladies. Dhruv shrugs and then follows his brother.

Manik: (Whispers in Nandini's ear) "Your Amma forgot one thing. Today is our first night too. Shit! When will this hide-and-seek game be over?"

In return, he gets a pock in his ribcage from Nandini's elbow. All well that ends well. Though it's not the end at least we can say our love birds get a confidant who will not only shelter them under her loving wings but also will fight to protect them. Let's see what God has planned for their messy love.

Author's note: So, Manan is to keep their marriage a secret for a while. Will it be easy or they will mess it up more? Some more hilarious dramas are waiting for you. 😋😋 Keep reading and keep laughing.