Chapter 19 - "Mummy's day out..."

Malhotra House: Breakfast table: Almost 3 hours before the marriage:

All are present except Shrikant Malhotra. Last night it was a wedding party and Shrikant went a little over the top when Nyonika approached a Punjabi family for Manik's marriage. The result was a bad verbal spat over the difference of opinion. He left for the office without having breakfast and Nyonika's expression is proving that how much she hates this. Dhruv glances at his mother from the corner of his eye.

Dhruv: (Carefully) "Mom, I will be late today. Have 2 extra classes."

Nyonika: (In a taunting tone) "Why are you telling this to me? I am a fool after all. I have no brain to think about the wellness of my family member. Didn't you see how your Dad was shouting at me the whole way back? And what was my mistake? That I care for my sons. I think for their future."

Dhruv looks at Manik and makes a sad face. Manik was about to put the morsel into his mouth but Dhruv's silent plea makes him halt in between.

Manik: (Gentilly) "Mom, Dad didn't try to project you as a fool. Don't go by his words. He just said that you shouldn't have continued the topic with Chawla Aunty when she cleared that her daughter already has chosen a boy for her."

Nyonika: (Sternly) "And I was trying to make her understand that her daughter's choice is totally bogus. Bilkul galata cona. (Utter wrong choice) Pillai? She is going to be Pummy Chawla Pillai? Unthinkable!"

Manik: (In a hard tone) "And that's why you kept on convincing Chawla Aunty that she should be Pummy Chawla Malhotra. Come on, Mom. Dad was totally right to stop you. You were literally sounding like a fanatic casteist. Why do you have so many bad feelings about the South Indians?"

Nyonika keeps mum for some moments while rolling her eyes at her elder son. Then she slams the napkin on the table and gets up.

Nyonika: (Sarcastically) "Because you have so many good feelings for them. Mainu ki chahida hai? (What is my need?) Kari apni manmani! (Do whatever you want.)"

Saying this, she exits after roaming her piqued eyes on everybody. Manik makes a frustrated face. He is already tensed about Nandini whether she will be able to execute the plan to dodge her family and come to the court on time or not. More on that, this family drama.

Manik: (Murmurs) "Why do people complicate simple things?"

Kauser: (Leaving a sigh) "Because we often can't see a simple solution. Manik today I am saying this to my both grandsons. Always follow your heart and consider your happiness. Because if you are not happy then you can't make others happy. Your Mom will understand her mistake one day but that day shouldn't be your repentance day."

Manik keeps on staring at his grandmother for some moments. The agitation that was troubling his consciousness since he decided to marry Nandini suddenly vanishes. Maybe Kauser doesn't know why this day is significant for her grandson's life but unknowingly she probably gave her blessing to him. Manik's eyes feel a burning sensation. He blinks a couple of times and then bends to touch Kauser's feet.

Manik: (In a grave voice) "Thanks, Dadi. I will remember your words."

He turns at Dhruv and gestures to leave.

Manik: "Chal Dhruv. (Let's go, Dhruv) Bahot kaam hai. (There are lot of work)

They exit leaving behind Kauser who is still trying to comprehend if she missed something.

................................................

On Manik's bike: Way to the court: 1 ½ hour before the marriage: