Chapter 11- "Determined Manan..."

Behind the temple near Murthy house: 2:15 am:

Manik: (Hell surprised) "Harshad advised you to elope with me? Really? But why?"

Nandini bends her head and mums for some seconds.

Nandini: "Harshad loves someone else. His condition is the same as mine. The only difference is, he is not being able to tell it to anyone. He thinks he is indebted to the Murthy family and if he defies their wish which is like order for him then he will commit a sin. Because of this, he can't deny this marriage directly. And that's why...."

Manik concludes her words,

Manik: "And that's why he gave this brilliant piece of advice to you."

The innuendo in his tone doesn't get unnoticed by Nandini. She immediately stares up and meets Manik's restless eyes.

Nandini: (In a trembling voice) "Oh..so, you are not ready for this as you think I am overreacting and thinking illogical."

A lump of pain obstructs her throat. Tears brim her black doe eyes. Manik instantly steps forward and cups her face. Nandini tries to free herself but Manik strongly keeps holding her and looks into her eyes,

Manik: (Apprehensively) "I never thought that you are overreacting. I can understand your mental status because I am also going through this pressure but that doesn't mean we would take any drastic and impulsive step. Elopement is not as easy as winking. Our family reputation is involved in it. We can't play with our family's emotions and honour. Please let me try in another way. Let me talk to your family once. I am sure they will understand."

Nandini:(Pessimistically) "And what about your family? Your Mom? Don't you think you will let down her honour by bowing down to my family?"

The authority and truthfulness in her voice make Manik free her. He looks here and there and runs his restless fingers through his unruly hair.

Nandini: (Haplessly) "We don't have another option, Manik. I know my family will never accept you and you know the same goes with your family. You are just keeping hope beyond hope."

Nandini pauses for a second.

Nandini:(In a defiant tone) "Either we have to take this drastic step or we have to forget each other."

The word 'forget' sharply jabs Manik's heart. He grabs Nandini by her shoulders and yanks her into his chest. This is it for Nandini. She encircles his back in a bone-crushing hug and breaks into a loud cry.

Nandini: (Crying) "Don't let this...happen, Manik..uuuuu(crying) I can't live without youuuuu(crying)"

Manik keeps on osculating Nandini's head and mumbling,

Manik: (In a determined voice) "It will never happen. You are mine and you will always be mine. Okay, if you want this, I am with you. Tell me what do I have to do?"

Nandini calms down a bit and withdraws her face from Manik's chest,

Nandini: "Harshad said, for court marriage, we have to submit an application in the registration office. After that, we have to wait for 3 months to get a proper date for marriage from the court. Then we can get married on that date with proper papers of identity, age and address proof."

A brief moment of silence lingers in the air then Manik guffaws.

Manik: (Teasingly) "Your Harshad has done a total research on Indian court marriage...ha...ha...I think he is also planning to elope with his girlfriend...ha...ha..convey my thanks to him for lessening my work. But I have one doubt."

Nandini was about to be angry with Manik for his teasing words but the last line makes her frown in confusion.

Nandini: (Perplexed) "Doubt?"

Manik tightens his grip on her body.

Manik: (In a fake serious tone) "You said your family, especially your Amms wants you and Harshad to get married within two months. But the court will give us a marriage date minimum of 3 months later if we apply today. Then how will you manage this extra one month? Amms se grace mangogi?" (Will you ask for grace from Amms?)

Nandini's eyes widen in surprise. How this man can make fun of this serious matter? She softly punches Manik's stomach and he fakes a painful wail,

Manik: "Ouch.."

Nandini: (With rolling eyes) "How can you make fun in this serious condition? But you have a point and I have already thought about it."

Nandini smiles mischievously.

Nandini: "Dhruv has a friend, Shahid. His father works in the marriage registry office. If he wants then we can get a date within 15 days."

Manik rolls his eyes.

Manik: (With pretentious surprise) "15 days! How? Don't tell me you are going to bribe him!"

In reply, Nandini only winks. Gradually, Manik's ball eyes turn to mischief ones.

Manik: (Chuckles) "Ms Nandini Murthy, your idea is not bad. Kudos!"

He playfully pats her back. Nandini taps her index finger on his heart.

Nandini: (In a bragging tone) "My ideas are always the best."

She smiles brightly. Manik yanks her closer

Manik: (In a husky tone) "Is it? Then you deserve a prize."

Nandini: (Confused) "Prize?"

Manik's hands trail up and down on her back.

Manik: (Teasingly) "Why do you always pretend that you don't know what I say? Or you want me to demonstrate?"

Nandini: (Flummoxed) "What?"

Manik: "Forget it..."

He scoots forward and fuses his ardent lips to hers. Suddenly a gust of breeze jingles the bell of the temple. It seems God approves their decision.

................................................

Dhruv: "Bhai, are you serious? Elopement?"

Dhruv almost falls down from his chair. Manik sits on his bed with crossed legs and bobs in positive.

Manik: "Hmmm...and you have to help us in this. Did Nandini discuss it with you?"

Dhruv wobbles in denial. His expression is worth watching. It seems like someone pushes a non-singer on a stage where he will have to entertain the whole audience.

Manik: (In an authoritative tone) "She said you have a friend called Shahid. His father works in the marriage registration office. You have to convince him to take out a marriage date for us as soon as possible. We want it within 15 days. We have already filled the application form. Give it to him to submit. I just left vacant the place of the date. You discuss with Shahid and put it accordingly. If he needs some money then let me know. I will arrange."

Dhruv: (In a grave voice) "That won't be a problem but what about Mom, Bhai? Do you think she will welcome Nandu so easily in this house?"

Manik: (Determinedly) "We are getting married just because we don't have another option and time. But right now, it will remain only between us as a secret. If Nandu's family pressurise her to get married to someone else then at least she will have this safeguard. And about Mom. I don't know what will be her reaction but right now I can't think otherwise. Nandini is equally important to me and I am not a person who will sacrifice his happiness for the stubbornness of his family despite the truth that I love all of you a lot."

Manik's voice chokes in the last. Dhruv immediately nears him and sits beside him.

Dhruv: (Adamantly) "I am with you, Bhai. I am always with you and Nandu. Fight for your love because you are not wrong and both of the families have to understand it."

Author's note: In the next 2 chapters Manan will get married but with some hilarious twists.😉😉 Stay tuned. ❤😊🙏