Chapter 8 - "Madrasi girl..."

In front of a coaching centre: A narrow ally: 1:30 pm:

Manik: (In a defeated voice) "Okay...I accept that I did a mistake. But I did it unknowingly. How do I know that your whole family will land up in the same place where we went for an evening treat? Did you inform me?"

Nandini flips at him hostilely folding her hands near her chest.

Nandini: (Sarcastically) "Oh...So, I should have told you that, Manik listen, today I am going to McDonald's in Connaught Place with my family. So, you definitely don't go around. Because my family is allergic to you. Seriously? Are you kidding me?"

Manik widens his eyes as he is still not convinced that he did any blunder.

Manik: (Angrily) "So, you want to tell me that all is my fault. Your granny was teasing my brother, was commenting bogus about nonvegetarians and bullying our North Indian community and I should have heard all these like a coward. Seriously? Punjabi hu. Mera bhi khoon khaulta hai." (I am a Punjabi. My blood also boils).

He rolls up his sleeves to justify his words. Nandini arches her brows at his biceps.

Nandini: (Sarcastically) "Then sprinkle cold water on your boiling blood because whatever you did in the restaurant has finished all hope for accepting you in my family. You have perfectly labelled their belief that North Indians are rude and arrogant and I should never choose a Punjabi boy as my life partner. Thanks to you and your boiling blood."

Manik: (Yells) "Oh..enough, Nandini!"

Nandini nears him hostilely.

Nandini: (Yells back) "Oh...enough, Manik."

Both keep staring at each other with rolling eyes. Then Nandini turns on her heels. She is feeling too much annoyed now. Neither she can make her family understand nor her love.

Nandini : "Forget it!...I am going."

She is about to move forward when Manik grabs her wrist. She halts for a moment and then slowly turns back. Manik is looking to another side, hiding his emotion. Suddenly Nandini dashes on his chest and wraps her hands around his upper torso.

Nandini: (Mumbles) "Why don't you understand? I can't live without you. I want you in my life at any cost. Please take this matter seriously."

At first, Manik was taken aback then slowly hugs back her fragile frame, keeping his chin on her head.

Manik: (Composedly) "What do you want? Do you want me to apologise to your Amms and Appa? I am ready to even beg for your hand."

Nandini immediately withdraws her face hidden in his chest and meets his ardent eyes.

Nandini: (Determinedly) "No...you don't have to beg for our love to anyone. We are not doing any mistakes. You love me and I love you. All other things are incoherent. My family has to understand that a person shouldn't be judged by his caste and region. They have to understand our pure love."

For a moment, Manik keeps on looking at her. Sometimes he contemplates, what did he do actually to have this girl in his life. However, he can only utter,

Manik: "I love you..."

Nandini: (Smiles) "I love you too..."

In reply, Manik pulls Nandini closer and tries to capture her lips. Nandini immediately retreats her head.

Nandini: (In a pretentious serious tone) "Behave, Mr Punjabi. It's a public place. Apne khaulte koon ko kabu me rakho." (Control your boiling blood)

Manik: (Guffaws) "Ha...ha...Ms Kannadiga..it's khoon not koon. I neither can control my boiling blood nor my hormones. Let's go to a movie hall. Then only you, me and the darkness. We can do anything. I mean..Anyyyyyyyy thing."

He stretches the word 'any' in a sexy and naughty manner. Nandini tries to free herself. Though they are standing in a less crowded place some passers-by are glancing at them.

Nandini: "I got admission to this coaching class just to meet you. Not for cooling down your hormones. Leave me..Nannannu bittubidu..(Leave me)

Manik : (Nonchalantly) "On one condition. Kiss me...right now."

Nandini widens her eyes and with a gaped mouth looks around.

Nandini: "Manik! Are you crazy? It's an open place."

Manik: (Sternly) "Whatever! I want it now. Or else, you will miss your classes."

Nandini helplessly looks around and tries to free herself.

Nandini: "Okay...but leave me first."

Manik narrows his eyes at her trying to grok if she is fooling him. Nandini makes a poker face and utters a soft, Please. Manik loosens his hold and Nandini steps back. Suddenly she pecks his cheek and flips to run away. Manik startles at her smartness and then chuckles.

Manik: (Yells at her back) "I will talk to my family about us today. Hope there will be no further clash."

In reply, Nandini shows her thumps up and vanishes inside the coaching centre building.

................................................

Malhotra house: Dining table: 9 pm:

All Malhotras are present except Shrikant. He is taking bath after coming back from his bank. It was a hectic day for him.

Nyonika: "Tu mainu marna chahanda hain? Madrasi Kudi? Mere palle? (Do you want to kill me? Madrasi girl? For me?)

Dhruv chokes and starts coughing to hear his mother's reaction. Nyonika fondles his back. Manik glares at his younger brother.

Manik: "Mother India...first of all, don't generalise all South Indians as Madrasi. She is from Karanata..and what is this marna? (Kill) She is a very good girl. Better than any other Punjabi Kudi. (Punjabi girl) Ask your beloved son. She is his best friend."

Dhruv embarrassedly meets his mother's piercing eyes those are emitting only one emotion, 'You too...Brutus!"

Kausar: (Enthusiastically) "Call her...once. Let me see, who is that princess who stole my prince's heart. By the way, what is her name?"

Before Manik or Dhruv can answer, Shrikant's virile voice is heard,

Shrikant: "Whose name?"

Nyonika: (In a helpless tone) "Your would-be Madrasi nuha. (Daughter in law) Isa munde ne uhi kama kita jo main nahin cahuda si. South Indian kudi nu phara lia (This boy has done the same which I didn't want. He caught a South Indian girl)

Manik: (With annoyance) "Moooommm...Nandini is good. Meet her once."

Shrikant occupies his seat and turns up his plate.

Shrikant: (In a serious tone) "Tell her that we are going to meet her parents on coming Sunday. I have no prejudice about the region, caste or province. The girl and the family should be decent and humble. Rest, I can have Idli sambar with equal delight."

He chuckles and now both Manik and Dhruv start coughing. They didn't expect this much prompt action. Now, who will make Shrikant understand that Nandini's family believes exactly the opposite?

Manik: (With hesitance) "Dad..I think you should meet Nandini first. Her family..."

Shrikant: (Sternly) "Her family is more important. By the way, don't expect that if we like her and her family, you can instantly marry her. First, get a good job then it will be a grand Punjabi wedding."

Dhruv and Manik look at each other helplessly and jointly mouth,

Dhruv & Manik: "Yes, Dad..."

Author's note: Sorry for the late update. 🙏Was stuck in winding up the other stories. Hope you enjoyed it. Stay tuned.❤