Chapter 36 - "Mother India is missing..."

Nandini's outfit for the Haldi ceremony

Manik's outfit for the Haldi ceremony

Murthy House: 10 a.m: Manan's Haldi ceremony:

Today is Nandini and Manik's Haldi ceremony. The ritual is celebrated separately in each house where the groom takes a bath after his family members, friends and close associates smear turmeric on him with fun and frolic. It is considered pious and auspicious for his upcoming married life. After that, the same turmeric is sent to the bride's home and they smudge it on the bride's body. It is again considered as lucky for their new bond. This ritual is generally performed in the early morning so that the bride can sit for the next ritual which is Ashirvaad or blessing ceremony. Here all elder members bless her for their happy future married life. Many of them give gifts to the bride at this time. The same goes for the groom's house. However, Nandini's family is still waiting for the haldi (turmeric) that is supposed to reach till now. Nandini is wearing a yellow dress that matches the colour of the ritual and sitting on the swing placed on the veranda when Kishori comes with a swift and busy pace.

Kishori: (Panting) "Kanna, when the haldi will come? It's 11. Everybody is waiting for the ashirvaad rite."

She shows vexation. Nandini was giggling with some close friends and cousins. Amms' rebuke makes her realise that she should call Manik and ask about the reason for the delay. She immediately grabs the phone and gestures for the girls to be silent.

Nandini: "Let me ask Manik. I think they got stuck somewhere."

Amms: "Hmmm..."

She scoffs. Manik's phone rings for a long but nobody receives it. Nandini's brows scrunch in annoyance. She again tries but the result remains the same.

Amms: (Scornfully) "Enayitu? (What happened?) He didn't pick up the call? I knew it. Irresponsible boy. Hegadaru, avana tayige call mari. (Anyway, call his mother) Tell her to come first. We are running out of time."

Kishori doesn't give Nandini any chance to reply and walks away. Don't know why but Nandini's eyes well up with tears. Any bad and inferior word against Manik hurts her but when this boy will understand this. Yesterday, he suddenly appeared in the boutique without her knowledge but today when actually she needs him, he doesn't even care to receive her call. Amms said it rightly. He is irresponsible. Nandini gets up from the swing and walks to a corner to call Nyonika. Within a minute, Dhruv picks the call up.