Chapter 17 - "Dramaqueen Nandu..."

Murthy House: Living room: 12:20 pm:

Nandini's words make Adhiraju Swami turn at her. His lips make an 'O' in surprise. It is not understood whether Nandini's dazzling appearance has made him shocked or her words. Kishori roams her perplexed eyes on Nandini and she checks her out from top to bottom. Nandini is wearing a red Kanjivaram saree. Her whole body is adorned with too much gold jewellery which is very off-key for this day where a Pandit has come to fix only a suitable date for her engagement. She is actually looking like a bride who is eager and ready to put her foot forward in the mandap. (A place where the Hindu marriage rituals are done) Kishori's eyes hover over Nandini's shoulder and fall on Rituja who is standing just behind her daughter. The question in her mother's eyes doesn't need any word to understand. An embarrassed grin appears on her lips. She pouts to show her bewilderment. Suddenly, Nandini entangles her fingers and shrugs her shoulder to wriggle her body in a manner that it shows her shyness. She bites her lower lip and looks at Adhiraju Swami from the corner of her eyes. Her face is red in coyness.

Nandini: (In an apprehensive tone) "I liked the groom, Amms. A big yes from my side. He...he..."

She palms her face to cover her shyness. Kishori and Rituja both raise their brows in shock. They never expected this kind of reaction from Nandini. Kishori springs up from her seat and paces at her granddaughter.

Kishori: (In a suppressed roar) "Huccu hudugi. (Crazy girl) He is Adhiraju Swami. He came to fix your engagement date."

In reply, Nandini doesn't counter her grandmom's words rather she all of a sudden, ran towards Adhiraju and before he could react, grabs his hands.

Nandini: (In a gallant tone) "You came to fix our marriage date. Awwwwww...you are so cute...so good. Please fix the date as soon as possible...he...he...I will be your bride...Ayyapaaa."

She again wriggles her body in shyness. On the other hand, the condition of Adhiraju Swami is worth observing. He shuttles his button eyes among Nandini, Kishori and Rituja in a helpless manner.

Adhiraju: "But...but...I....I...."

Nandini's facial expression suddenly changes from shy to sharp. She tightens her grip on Adhiraju's hands and flares her nose.

Nandini: (Gritting) "What but? Huhh...you won't marry me?"

Instantly, Dhruv's words come to his mind and Adhiraju flinches in fear. "Try to say yes in her every word. Otherwise...."

Adhiraju: (Nods with blanched face) "Yes!"

Kishori & Rituja: (Yells) "WHAT?"

Adhiraju: "I mean NO!"

Nandini leaves his hand just to fist the collar of his mundu.

Nandini: (Yelps) "WHAT? Say again. You know I hate the word, No. You have to marry me and that is now. Adorrrr...."

In a moment, the tiny monster appears wagging his tail. His size is not matching his mood at all. Rather he is all ready to obey Nandu's order. Adhiraju looks at him with his frightened eyes.

Rituja: (Helplessly) "What are you saying, Nandu? Have you gone crazy?"

Nandini turns at her mother and makes a puppy face.

Nandini: (In a crying tone) "You only told me that today my would-be groom will come to marry me, Amma. You only made me ready with your saree and jewellery. Now, you only are scolding me...uuuuuhhhhuu....Ammaaaa....uuhhuuuu...(Fake crying)"