Chapter 31 - "When foes become family..."

Murthy House: Vimesh and Rituja's bedroom: 10:30 am

It's been 1 week since both the families of Manik and Nandini came to know about their court marriage. After that, they decided to get Manan married with proper rituals and pompousness. However, the final date, venue and rites are still stuck to some mutual settlement. Nyonika wants an elaborate and majestic Punjabi shadi while Kishori and Vimesh want a traditional and sober Kanadiga maduve samarambha. After a lot of argument, talk and bickering, all came to a conclusion that both the rituals will be followed. First, they will tie the knot in a Kannada wedding and after that, they will get married with Punjabi rituals. It will be hell tiresome for Manik and Nandini but they didn't have any other option by which they can maintain a wave of peace between their crazy families. Today Manik's grandmother Kauser and his mother Nyonika are coming to Murthy's house for fixing a marriage date. Shrikant has some important work but he will be available by phone. In any case, he doesn't have any opinion on a date. But of course, the venue will be decided by him only after discussing it with Vimesh. On the other hand, Manik and Nandini are temporarily forbidden to meet each other until they get married with full rituals. Needless to say that it is Nandini's Amms' restriction. Kishori doesn't have much faith in a court marriage. It's said that humans have an uncanny attraction to those which are forbidden to them. Manik and Nandini are not any exceptions to this. Since they got restricted to meet each other, both are urging to break that constraint. Finally, they found out a way and planned to meet in the temple near the Murthy house. Both chose the time when Kauser and Nyonika will come to Nandini's house as all the Murthys will be engaged and won't concentrate on Nandini. All the day passed seamlessly. However, a matter was bothering Rituja for the whole week and it's good to be discussed with Vimesh right now. Contemplating that, Rituja enters their bedroom having a cup of filter coffee in her hand. Vimesh is checking some answer papers sitting on the bed. He took an off to attend the Malhotras. Rituja observes her husband and squints her eyes to initiate the talk.

Rituja: (Carefully) "Can we talk for a while? I have something to discuss."

Vimesh: (Without looking up) "Yes, we can. Let me finish this one."

He ticks some answers quickly, signs the paper and bunches up all the answer sheets to pile them up on the study table. Rituja gives the coffee cup to Vimesh.

Vimesh: "When will Manik's family come? Arrange some good snacks and coffee for them. They shouldn't complain about our hospitality."

He sips on his coffee and makes a satisfactory sound.

Rituja: (Calmly) "They prefer tea to coffee. Vimesh...uuummm...are you still upset with me?"

Vimesh arches his brow in confusion.

Rituja: (Leaves a sigh) "No...I mean I hid the court marriage incident from you."

She halts instantly as she doesn't know how to put the matter. Vimesh reclines on the bed rest. His face is mirthless.

Vimesh: "I was initially but then I analysed the whole thing. I tried to see it from your angle. I know it was equally shocking for you but as a mother and a well-wisher of her child, you did right. You might look for a suitable time to tell me that."

He keeps the empty cup on the side table and sits squarely.

Vimesh: "You know, Ritu; when I came to know that Nandu married Manik without our knowledge, I was very angry with her. I felt that I will never talk to my daughter. But when she confronted my anger with logic then I realised that she truly respected my teaching and values. I always taught her to be fearless about her thoughts and choice and she proved it."