Chapter 5 -"Game plan..."

Murthy House: Breakfast table: 8:30 am:

Nandini, Kishori and Vimesh are sitting while Rituja is instructing the cook in the kitchen. Harshad has left in the early morning as he has an interview. Nandini has been observing her grandmom and father for a while. Both seem in a good mood. It's is the ideal time to raise the topic but before that, she has to act a little as an obedient granddaughter and daughter. She is feeling bad for lying and using his Appa's trust but she has no other option.

Nandini: (Hesitantly) "I...ummm..I am ready for this marriage."

Kishori: (Choked on her coffee) "Wha...what?"

Nandini: (Rolling her eyes) "Should I write it on paper? I will marry Harshad."

Vimesh: (Admonishes) "Nandu..mind your tone. It's good that you have taken the right decision. Harshad is the perfect choice for you. Thank you. I want as soon..."

Nandini doesn't let him finish.

Nandini: "But I have a condition. I want to finish my graduation first. In between, none of you will raise this topic again. I want to concentrate on my studies."

Kishori parts her lips to counter but Vimesh nods at her to halt.

Vimesh: "Okay, as your wish. By the way, when is your second-year final semester?"

Nandini puts a morsel in her mouth.

Nandini: "Last week of the next month. Appa, I have a request."

Vimesh smiles and gestures to Nandini to pass the coconut chatni bowl.

Vimesh: (Affectionately) "Yes, anything for you, Kanna."

Nandini: (Carefully) "Ummmm..for the third paper of philosophy I need some coaching. There is a good coaching centre in Malviya Nagar. Can I join it? There will be three classes in a week."

She looks at her father with hopeful eyes. Kishori frowns with suspicion. Her granddaughter is sounding too much obedient today.

Vimesh: "That's good but how will you go there? And what will be the timing."

Nandini: "From 5 pm to 6:30 pm. I will directly go there after my college. It is not that much far from there."

Vimesh: "Hmm...okay. Join it. Let me know the fees. I will transfer."

Nandini's face beams with joy. Vimesh gets up finishing his breakfast. He has to go to college too. Kishori glances at Nandini from the corner of her eyes,

Kishori: (Sceptically) "May I know what made you change your mind so soon? Harshad was your brother, right? Then how did he become your choice for a groom?"

Nandini: (Shrugs) "Because you all haven't left any choice for me. But please, Amms..as I said, no more discussion on this topic till I pass my exam."

She gets up hurriedly and exits. Kishori keeps on staring at her disperse.

Kishori: (Mumble) "I am your grandmother, Kanna not you are mine. Very soon I will find out your actual choice. Adu innu a Punjabi huduganagiddare!" (If that is still that Punjabi boy!)

................................................

Malhotra House: Manik's room: 10 am:

Manik is sitting on his bed and doing something on his laptop when Dhruv enters. He keeps the bag on the table and sits on the bed facing his brother.

Dhruv: (In a complaining tone) "Bhai, now this is too much of niggardliness. I entered the lion's den for you and you are not even ready to give me a new handsfree. Did I ask you for an iphone 12 Pro?"

Without shifting his eyes from the screen Manik lifts the teacup kept on the side table.

Manik: (Impassively) "First of all, that was a kennel of a sweet puppy, not any den. Secondly, you already have collected the money for your Apple iphone Pro from Dadi and Mom by your nagging and emotional blackmailing. And you are not demanding for any normal handsfree. That is Apple airpods. Costs almost 24 thousand. I am not yet employed, Bro. First, let me get a handsome salaried job then I will give you even a Mercedes. For now, be happy with a burger treat. Today evening at McDonald's."

He again gets engaged to his laptop screen. Dhruv glares at his brother.

Dhruv: (Disappointedly) "Hmmm...Mercedes! But something is better than nothing. Okay, I will manage with a burger but tell me one thing, how can you behave so cool when Nandu is so much tensed? Have you thought of anything about how will you both avoid this marriage issue?"

Manik chuckles and turns the laptop screen towards Dhruv. Dhruv quizzically raises his brow.

Manik: (With a mischievous smile) "My plan to avoid the marriage issue and in bonus...frequent dates with your Nandu."

He points to the screen with his eyes. Being confused Dhruv runs his eyes on the laptop screen. Manik has got a job in a company as an assistant Architect. The joining date is tomorrow. Dhruv observes the address. This an architectural farm in Malviya Nagar, Delhi. Still being perplexed Dhruv stares up to meet Manik's mischief eyes.

Manik: "The job is an excuse. The main thing is, there is a coaching centre beside the farm. Nandini is going to join it. Every alternative day she will come to attend the classes and I will take a break from my work at that time. Simple and smart."

Dhruv: (Rolls his eyes) "Not so simple and smart. What about marriage? Your secret dates won't cancel her marriage to Harshad."

Manik: (Winks) "Who said to cancel the marriage? In fact, she agreed to marry him. She just called and informed me."

Dhruv's eyes almost come out from his eye sockets. He sits squarely on the bed.

Dhruv: (In a worried tone) "Agreed! And you are telling this to me so casually? Did I take so many risks just to listen to this? If you both are not serious about this relationship then leave it, Bhai. It's not nice to date a girl so casually."

Manik is looking at his brother's annoyed face. He knows how much he is concerned about their relationship. Manik smiles and pats on Dhruv's shoulder.

Manik: (In a concerned voice) "Don't worry, Bro. She is my first and last love and I am hers. We can't even think to marry someone else. Just keep some patience. I will tell you everything. For now, I can say that we have to fight a lot to be together and we will."

For a moment, Dhruv stares at Manik and takes a deep sigh. It's 10:30 am. He has to leave for college. He gets up to exit.

Dhruv: (Shrugs) "I believe you, Bhai. And I believe Nandu too. I will be the happiest to see you both together forever. But right now, I have to leave. I will be waiting in McDonald's by 5 pm sharp. Don't dodge me."

He shows the thumps up and Manik winks with an approving smile.

......................................................

Outside of a school: 11:30 am:

Harshad: (Enthusiastically) "Ritumaa, I got the job. Yes! Wow, that's great. Now, Nandu won't have a complaint to get married to an unemployed....ha....ha...Okay, I am coming straight home. Yes, we will celebrate. What about McDonald's? No problem. I will pick Nandu and join you all. Okay, Done."

He cuts the call and looks at the sky. His eyes have mixed emotions.

Harshad: "Am I doing right? She believes me. But I have no other choice..."

Author's note: What is Harshad up to? Will Manan's plan be successful? How will all matters get tangled more? To know all these, keep reading. ❤