Chapter 15 - "Engagement bell..."

Murthy House: Breakfast table: 8:00 am:

A week has been passed after that thief chaos that happened at night in the Murthy house. For security reasons, Nandini has gotten back her precious mobile because her mother Rituja thinks that mysterious thief can attack their house again and, in that case, Nandini should have a way of communication with her. Nandini is bowing down inwardly in front of Manik. She couldn't anticipate that night venture actually can kill two birds with one stone. Now, she can keep in touch with Manik and make plans for the next step. Simultaneously, Amms' vigilance over her granddaughter's night activity has been reduced remarkably. Kishori is now sleeping in her room with the tightly locked door. After all, who wants to face that thief in between her sweet sleep? Manik Malhotra, you are a genius. Nandini often salutes her notorious boyfriend in her cheerful mind. It is a peaceful morning after a long time while all the members of the family are sitting and having the authentic South Indian breakfast. Ador is securely curling on Nandini's lap while she is delivering the tiny pieces of Idli into his mouth.

Kishori: "Ahem...I forgot to tell you all something."

She roams her authoritative eyes on everybody. Rituja passes a chunk of Idli into her mouth and frowns at her mother.

Rituja: (Inquisitively) "Now what, Amma? Don't say that you have arranged one more puja of Ayyappa (Worship of God Ayyappa Swami). Thieves can't be resisted by puja, Amma. So, please come out of this fear and forget all these."

Kishori: (Sternly) "So that, this time he can kidnap any family member instead of kissing us!"

Rituja's cheeks become red in embarrassment while Nandini makes a coughing sound in the try of controlling her bout of laughter. Although she pretentiously fought with Manik on this topic that how could he mistake her would-be mother-in-law as Nandini in reality she was rolling on the bed by continuously visualising the scenario. However, Manik being Manik is actually not ready to accept this blunder. His smart reply was, "I was thanking your mother in advance for producing a girl like you. Who knows if after marriage she will allow me to do it or not? So, it's a kind gesture towards my sweet Sasumaa (Mother-in-law)." Nandini chuckles unmindfully to remember it. Harshad tries to divert the topic so that, his Ritumaa can get a sigh of relief.

Harshad: "What is that, Amms? You want to go to Tirupathi again. No problem! I will arrange everything. Just say when do you want to go?"

Kishori turns at him and honours him with her stern look.

Kishori: (In a grave tone) "That I will go only after Nandu Kanna's marriage."

She again looks at everybody.

Kishori: "Today I have invited Adiraju Swami. He is a Pandit and a palmist. I want to know about Nandu's future. Simultaneously, he will fix a suitable date of Nichayathartham (Engagement)"

Nandini was about to slurp a spoon full of sambar when her Amms' words work as an electric shock and she chokes on it.

Nandini: "Nicha...(coughing)...Nichaya...(coughing)...Nichaya...(coughing)"

Kishori: "thartham...yes, you heard it right, Kanna. I want you and Harshad to get engaged soon. Marriage can be delayed for some months but engagement can't. Most importantly, when I don't have the slightest trust in the notorious brain of that Punjabi boy. I don't want to give him time to influence your stupid brain."

Nandini looks at Kishori with hurtful eyes and then she shifts them to Rituja and Harshad for any support or mercy. While Rituja makes a helpless expression, Harshad budges on his seat.