Chapter 5

"Oh my god you're British, that's so cute

"Oh my god you're British, that's so cute. Say aluminium!" a voice drawled behind me, as I sat down at my new desk.

I cringed, trying my best to put a fake smile on my face that came off as more of a grimace. I turned around to see one of my new work colleagues propping himself up on a cabinet. I glared at him.

"I'm taking it by your reaction you've not got much experience outside of America?" I asked, somewhat bitterly, although the man was oblivious.

He shrugged.

I turned back around, setting up my laptop and sifting through a pile of papers that had landed on my desk.

I knew taking this job was a bad idea. I was already bored out of my mind by the people and the job and i wasn't long into it. I hated small talk, I hated strangers and I hated pretending to be somewhat sociable.

I clicked open the laptop, typing in my new login before feeling that he was still behind me. I sighed, turning back around.

"As your new manager I'm going to have to ask you to return to your desk and do some actual work." I said in my best polite tone.

I think I failed.

He frowned, not expecting to hear that from me and huffed off. I cursed myself silently.

Laurel, you are in a new place with no friends, you can't afford this.

I wondered if I really had done the right thing leaving London. But then I'd have not have met Bucky...

I let my thoughts wander to him. We'd seen each other once more since the first time we'd kissed. It was like pure torture, sitting there in that cafe having coffee one morning and stopping my hands from wandering all over him.

I'd never been a touchy-feely person but there was nothing I wanted more than to act on my urges now I knew he felt the same about me.

It had been a little awkward again when we'd first sat down. We'd both given each other a half-hug, extending one arm out to each other before we'd began ordering breakfast.

I remembered his tousled hair, the way he watched my lips as I sipped my tea and the twinkle in his eyes when I'd opened up a little more and told him about this job. But Bucky was right, it was clear we were both scared shitless of this connection between us.

I'd been in New York for around six weeks now and I'd been busy settling in, sorting out paperwork, this job and setting up bank accounts. All monotonous stuff that needed doing.

The only thing not monotonous in my life was the mysterious Avenger who plagued my every thoughts in the best possible way, like a parasite infecting each cell in my body, taking over and hijacking my DNA. I shuddered at the thought of those icy blue eyes.

The day dragged on and on. I watched the hands move torturously slow on the clock and tried my best to be approachable to people.

Word had quickly got around that I used to work in the civil service, although they didn't know what exactly. That and the fact I was foreign made me interesting to the team. I could see all the men vying for my attention, seeing who could get one up on me first, like a bet between them.