Chapter 27

Bucky lay in bed with me whilst Steve brought me an omelette and a sugary drink

I felt so stupid passing out in our training session. But I had been working out and sparring non-stop upon hearing about Walker. I didn't want to feel useless in the fight I knew was coming. And I guess my body was telling me to slow down.

Bucky lay a hand to my forehead, frowning.

"You've not got a temperature." He mumbled, as he then looked deep into my eyes with concern.

"Buck, honestly I just felt a little woozy and I had a bad headache this morning. I'm fine." I whispered.

Now that I'd taken another painkiller and eaten, I was feeling a lot better. Just tired.

Bucky continued to study me some more.

"I really think we should take you down to medical, just in case." He muttered, already knowing the reaction I'd have.

"I'm fine." I retorted, pulling the duvet further up around me. "I think I just need a nap."

"OK, well I'll stay here with you." Bucky replied, settling himself down more next to me.

He was so sweet and caring and I felt like I didn't deserve it. Slowly we were getting back to how we used to be, becoming more affectionate again. I couldn't live without him despite everything.

"Nope. You've got stuff to do. If I need anything, I'll get FRIDAY to call you. Honestly I'm just going to sleep." I said as I nestled my head deeper into the pillow, my eyes already feeling heavy like lead.

Bucky sighed, placing a kiss to my forehead and getting up reluctantly, knowing better than to argue with me.

"Anything you need, let me know OK. I won't be far." He ordered and I nodded meekly.

He gave me one last look of worry before leaving me to myself. I finally drifted off into a sleep.

----------

My heart was racing as I sat waiting.

It wasn't possible, I knew that deep down, but I thought it'd be best to check anyway, just to silence that tiny voice at the back of my mind.

It had been a few days since I passed out and I was feeling better, just super tired. I knew we were getting close to tracking Walker now, the team preparing to leave any day to bring him in and I wanted to put my mind at ease.

I got up off the cold tiles of the bathroom floor and trudged over to the sink, holding my breath but not expecting anything. I'd only done a couple of these before and had never given much thought.

I picked up the plastic, letting out an exhale before turning it over.

My heart stopped beating.

It was positive.