Chapter 9

"Laurel, have you got the analysis of account two twenty four?" My boss' voice boomed across my office from the doorway

I flinch at the intrusion and put a fake smile on my face before turning around. Trying to adjust to normal office life was really straining.

"I do, I can email it to you right away." I said through gritted teeth, still trying to smile.

I couldn't afford to lose this job.

I was still trying to convince myself that one day I'd feel like I fit in and might make friends, but the ordinary life that I'd craved so much was not satisfying my soul. My boss barely smiled and rolled his eyes.

"It should've been sent two hours ago." He huffed as he walked out my office, not bothering to close my door on his way out.

Don't quit Laurel, don't quit.

My mind was racing back to yesterday, leaving the Avengers compound horrifically hungover, looking like a state and probably embarrassing myself at the party the night before.

I wondered if these people at work would ever suspect that their manager is dating an Avenger.

I still cringed at the word dating, it just didn't feel right to describe what we were, whatever it was.

My cheeks still flushed thinking about the conversation Bucky and I had yesterday whilst sober.

His something.

My heart soared a little remembering the fact that he'd wanted us to be exclusive to each other.

It was still so bizarre thinking about where my life had taken me in the last few months. It was getting so hard to concentrate in my job, I thought about him and where my life was going all throughout the day.

My soul was yearning for something bigger than myself.

I took a big gulp of the rest of my coffee in front of me, wishing away the last three hours of the day.

------

I had just thrown my work clothes to the side and gotten into comfier ones when my phone rang. My heart still skipped seeing his name flash up on my screen.

"Hey" I breathed, relieved that I'd finally heard from him after what had happened.

"I was beginning to think you'd changed your mind after the state I was in yesterday." I laughed.

"Nothing could make me change my mind." Bucky chuckled lowly down the phone.

It was so good to hear his voice. My heart swelled a little at his sentiment.

Who had I become missing someone after not seeing them for more than twenty four hours?

"Listen, Sam and I have gotta go away for a few days on a mission again." He said quickly, disappointment in his voice.