Chapter 11

"I quit

"I quit." I said definitively over the phone as I heard my boss inhale in surprise.

I had enough time to think about this over the last couple of days and I knew in my bones this menial office job wasn't for me. Just a few days at the Compound and I'd realised why my soul felt so light and free there.

It wasn't just the people who I naturally got on well with, it wasn't the adrenaline rush I got looking over case files or testing out my combat skills again, it was stronger than that. It was my soul's purpose to do good without the bullshit attached to it.

I hung up the phone before he had time to respond.

This was the reason I came to New York, not some crappy civilian job.

I was still in shock Tony had even asked me to join the team, but after speaking about it more to Steve and Bruce they reassured me that I wouldn't take long to catch up to Natasha and Clint's level of training with my natural skills. I'd blushed at the thought and my muscles ached for the fight.

I strode confidently back through the doors of the compound and returned to the main office where Tony and Bruce sat chatting animatedly about a new invention. They both turned to look at me as I walked in, full of purpose.

"You look like you have something to say." Tony stated as he motioned for me to come into the room further.

I met his eyes strongly.

"I'm in." I declared, before I could regret it.

I knew I wouldn't though, not really.

Tony and Bruce's eyes lit up as they smiled warmly at me. Tony walked over to me and shook my hand.

"Welcome to the mad house." He said warmly.

I smiled back.

"Don't make me regret it." I sighed, laughing.

Bruce was beaming at me too. Just then Steve walked through the door with a file in his hands, taking in the sight of Tony and I shaking hands and cocking his head curiously.

"You made your decision?" He asked, but already knew the answer.

I nodded, biting my lip and moving my hand from Tony's as I turned to face him. Steve smiled back at me, his blue eyes twinkling.

"You know Bucky's actually going to murder you, right Tony?" Steve said as he raised an eyebrow towards the brunette genius.

Tony dismissed it by shaking his head.

"That guy owes me more times than he can count. Besides, I have faith that they'll be able to work together, even though romance is involved." Tony stated.

A lump in my throat formed at the thought of telling Bucky. He would hate for me to be involved in something so dangerous. But he knew it was my calling, just like everyone else did.