Chapter 34

"So you really don't want to find out the sex of the baby?" Nat asked, taking a seat next to me on the sofa in the living area

She offered me some pretzels from the bag she was eating from.

I scrunched my nose up, rubbing my bump.

"No, I don't see the point. After everything we've been through I just care that they're OK, not what's between their legs." I sighed, as I felt the familiar pains shooting into my pelvis.

I gripped the arm of the sofa for a minute, breathing hard before it passed.

Wanda and Nat tilted their heads questioningly, looking worried.

"Is that normal now?" Nat asked, gesturing towards me. I nodded.

"I think it's just like growing pains. Obviously doesn't help I've got a super baby." I moaned, rolling my eyes.

I was getting used to all of these sharp and random pains now. The morning sickness was a little more controlled with my friends' intervention, but I felt pretty crappy at six months along.

My bump was very evident now, there was no denying I was pregnant. I was also sleeping a little better when I wasn't in pain. 

Bucky and I had spoken at length about how we would keep the baby out of the public eye, for its own safety. We weren't sure how long we'd manage, or what the long term plans were, but what mattered was taking things one step at a time and trying to keep me stress free. Easier said than done.

"I honestly don't know how you're coping Laurel. You're a tough cookie." Wanda said, smiling as she squeezed my arm. I lay my head back against the sofa, closing my eyes in tiredness.

"I'm not gonna lie, if this is what they're like now, I'm worrying about giving birth. Me and Buck have spoken about it a lot. He keeps telling me to get off Google and reading birth horror stories, but I want to be prepared. Ugh I'm terrified." I explained, as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Listen, you've got all of us by your side. We've got amazing technology here, we've got great doctors. Tony and Bruce are still analysing DNA and the serum to understand it more. And you're eating more now, your strength has built back up. You can do this." Wanda said decisively.

I nodded meekly.

"I might need you in my head putting me on a beach or something Wanda when I'm in labour." I said, half joking but realising it was a good idea.

She smiled at me and nodded.

"Whatever you need!" She replied.

I zoned out for a moment, looking around at the Christmas decorations Tony had up, ready for two weeks time. The red and gold decorations non-coincidentally reiterating his Iron Man colours.

I hadn't even known what to get Bucky and he felt the same towards me. We'd decided in the end that after everything we'd been through, it was better to promise no presents. We both weren't materialistic people and we wanted to save some money for the baby and our future. And that had relieved us both equally.