Chapter 46

[Laurel's POV]

[Laurel's POV]

A couple more days had passed and Bucky and I had decided to temporarily move back into the Compound until we got this mess sorted. I was ashamed to say I felt safer there.

Not only that, but having the team rotating being at our house felt wrong to do for them. Normally I'd swallow my pride, but where my family was concerned, I now didn't take chances.

Everyone was busy tracking down the Hydra soldier. Bucky said they didn't go by names but numbers.

'Agent 4' was all we had on this guy. We still didn't know how he found us, but it didn't matter. A lot of people knew where we lived now. The whys weren't important, it was the how we were going to fix it that was.

I rocked Annabel in my arms as we all took a lunch break from tracking CCTV and any old Hydra locations. It felt like I'd had no maternity leave at all and was right back to it.

I gazed down at Annabel's blue eyes, that were a replica of Bucky's, as she stared intently at me. If only she knew the danger around her. It made my throat feel hard at the thought of someone wanting to hurt something so pure.

Nat sat next to me as she sipped her coffee and stroked Annabel's small blonde curls adoringly.

"I still can't figure out who she looks more like." She murmured as her eyes traced over her features. "But she's just perfect."

I smiled at Nat. Ever since Annabel had been born, Nat was smitten. It made me sad she couldn't have her own. She was so gentle and tender with our daughter, such a contrast to her usual demeanor. She would've made a great mother.

"Hey guys, surprise visitor incoming, no shop talk please!" Tony said as he popped his head around the kitchen door, smiling briefly.

Suddenly in a flurry of energy, Morgan came running in, beaming a wide smile when she saw me. She ran up to me, hugging Nat from the side as she gazed down at Annabel.

"Aunty Laurel! Is this your baby?" Morgan asked sweetly as her big brown eyes, just like her Dad's, implored into me.

I realised how long it'd been since I'd last seen Morgan and how grown up she looked. I knew Tony must have the same worries and fears as I did whenever he looked at his little girl too.

I stroked Morgan's hair with my free hand and bent down to kiss the top of her head.

"It is! I've missed you so much Morgan, I am so glad you can finally meet her. Would you like to hold her?" I asked as she clasped her hands in delight and nodded enthusiastically.

I laughed, feeling all the weight of the impending mission and terror melting away a little in this present moment.

I gestured Morgan to a chair in the corner and Wanda grabbed a cushion to tuck under her arm to help support Annabel. I gently bent down and placed Annabel into Morgan's arms giving her a reassuring nod as I did so.