Chapter 17

[Bucky's POV]

[Bucky's POV]

I heard a scuffle coming from the other side of the graveyard, immediately thinking about Laurel with Walker.

I was pissed off to say the least when she said she would go with him, I didn't trust him. I hated the way he spoke to her and leered at her. The image in my head of punching him square in the jaw was becoming more appealing by the minute.

As my head shot up to where the sound came from, looking confusingly at Sharon and Lemar who also had the same expression as me, I was suddenly aware that a presence was surrounding us.

My instincts proved right as out of nowhere, two Flagsmashers appeared in their black and red hockey masks, towering over us and advancing from each side. My hands grabbed my gun quicker than my brain could think, Sharon and Lemar doing the same.

"Guess we're in the right place then." I sighed, looking at them sarcastically.

I poised my gun, landing on the one in front of me now as Sharon covered the one behind, Lemar alternating between the two.

"Definite sign." Sharon retorted as she remained stoic, her feet planted and glaring at the two people advancing on us.

"What do you want?" Lemar shouted between them.

I was trying really hard to focus, but all I could think about was Laurel.

What if more had gotten to her already?

She wasn't a supersolider.

Sure she was fast, small and quick, skilled in combat I'd give her that, but she had taken a fair few hits in her previous fights with them and I wasn't sure when luck on her side might run out.

I couldn't let my mind think about that right now, I had to stay focused. This wasn't usually an issue.

The one in front of me removed their mask, revealing a tall brunette girl with darkened eyes, glaring at us. I gritted my teeth, pushing harder on the cold metal between my fingers, ready any second now.

"We want to keep what's ours." She hissed as her eyes locked onto mine.

I didn't have time for this philosophical bullshit.

I was done with this mission, I wanted it over. I wanted Laurel to go home safe, for her to not even be in this fucking mess in the first place. I wanted to take her out on more dates, keep getting to know each other, live a normal life.

"It wasn't yours in the first place." I spoke back lowly, filled with anger now.

I saw her getting closer to me, holding a knife by her side. She seemed unafraid and self-assured.

I wasn't sure what their serum was like compared to mine from all those decades ago, but from what I'd seen so far, they were a pretty even match. Something I wasn't used to.