Chapter 23

I forced myself up, swallowing down the tea that Bucky had brought up to me and nibbling on dry toast

I barely had the energy to dress myself, so threw on some leggings and a jumper, pulling my hair into a loose messy bun.

Sweat still clung to my forehead as the alcohol forced itself out of my pores, but I couldn't stop thinking about what Sharon had said.

How had I gone from having a great night with friends to this feeling of dread, in the pit of my stomach, within twelve hours?

When I told Bucky what she'd said, he was immediately concerned about me, offering to come with me to meet her, not wanting to let me out of his sight.

But I knew this was something I needed to do with Sharon alone. This was my history to relive, and I needed space to process.

Bucky nodded acceptingly, but I saw the worry etched onto his face as he helped me get ready to leave.

I swallowed down some more painkillers, praying this hangover would fade by the time I met with Sharon.

We had decided it was best to meet at my flat back in the City to give us some space and privacy. I couldn't face a ride on the back of Bucky's motorbike, so he offered to take Steve's car to drive me back instead.

Walking through the Compound, trying to escape quietly so as not to draw attention, I saw Thor asleep across the sofa, snoring heavily. Clint was lying on the floor beneath him, both still in last night's outfits.

It was past lunch time, and they were dead to the world. It made me feel relieved. I couldn't handle any extra socialising right now.

The Compound was still a mess. I dodged empty glasses and bottles, as well as food and confetti, on the floor. No doubt Tony would get his staff on it soon enough when he, too, awoke.

We drove in silence most of the way home, both feeling rough and deep in thought. Our hands never left each other however.

When we pulled up to my apartment, Bucky leant over, grabbing the back of my neck and pressing a kiss to my forehead. His eyes studied mine for a second, before he sighed.

"Call me when you're done OK? I'll be here if you need me." He breathed, resigning himself to the fact he couldn't help me through this.

I nodded meekly, unsure I was prepared for the truth I'd so desperately longed for.

"If you want to stay at yours tonight, get some space, that's fine too. Just let me know what you need." Bucky added.

I squeezed his thigh lovingly before getting out of the car.

He gave me a little wave, before he eventually sped off into the distance.

Normally, I felt relaxed when I came back to my own space and apartment. Feeling like I could recuperate from the constant buzz of the Compound, but today was different.