Chapter 7

"Laurel, shut up and take one

"Laurel, shut up and take one." Tony said impatiently as I had tried to refuse a shot of tequila, knowing the state I'd be in later if I accepted.

I didn't want to protest anymore for fear of looking rude and giving off a bad first impression. I felt Bucky next to me squeeze my waist.

"Tony, ease up!" He shouted jokingly at him.

Tony shook his head, still passing me a shot.

"Give her two for good measure!" Clint said and I shot him a glare, rolling my eyes.

There were now two shots in front of me and one for everyone else. So this is how tonight was going.

"We've got to get to know you Laurel. Bucky has never brought a girl back!" Sam said, nudging my side.

I tried to hide my blush and I could see Bucky was feeling just as uncomfortable as me.

We hadn't even discussed what we were yet. It seemed too early for that, yet here we were sitting like a couple in front of his only loved ones.

I tried to push down those deep thoughts, now was not the time. I wanted to be myself, but I also wanted them to like me if they were important to him. Even if that meant drinking the damn tequila.

"There's a reason why." Bucky said, leaning behind me to hit Sam on the shoulder, on my other side.

"Yeah cos you're a loner." Sam retorted, taking a sip of his own drink. Bucky huffed back at him.

"Well, Laurel, regardless you must be special to Bucky, and if you're special to Bucky you're gonna have to put up with us too." Steve said across from me, giving me a little smirk with a twinkle in his eyes, raising his glass.

"Okay so how about a little game to get to know our guest of honour?" Tony said and Pepper shook her head, mouthing sorry at me.

I knew they had a child together after reading about it on social media and wondered where the kid must be. They must be rich enough for ten nannies.

"Leave the poor girl alone." Nat sighed as she sipped her martini, leaning back, looking like she'd had to endure too many of these parties already.

"Tony, this isn't a hazing." Wanda added lightly.

I shook my head, waving a hand in the air dismissing it.

"Thanks girls but it's fine. I'm super boring though, but let's do it." I said, trying to come off nonchalantly.

My heart skipped a little. There was so much I hadn't even told Bucky. I wasn't sure I wanted these strangers knowing everything about me. I guess a lot of their lives were in the press so they weren't as bothered. Bucky leaned into my ear.

"We really can leave if you want to." He murmured.

It sent goosebumps down me. I laughed, dismissing it and looking at him, he seemed to know I was going to have to do this one way or another. He also knew I was too stubborn to leave now.