Chapter 26

"Hey

"Hey." I smiled weakly, walking into Bucky's room, gently letting myself in.

I'd given him some time when he'd come back from my apartment with Sam, but when I knew he was in his room, I decided to go and make sure he was OK.

I felt guilty and sick. Although kissing Loki was a mistake, it lingered over me. It made me realise how much I truly loved Bucky and how I couldn't bear the thought of being without him. I just wasn't sure when we would get back to normal.

"Hey." Buck replied, stepping out his bathroom, a towel wrapped loosely around his waist as he ran a hand through his wet locks.

He looked breathtaking but I tried to shake those thoughts out of my head.

I walked and took a seat on the edge of his bed, feeling awkward for staring at him for so long. He sighed and leant against the doorframe towards me.

"Thanks for fixing my apartment." I said quietly, not really sure how to behave around him now.

My feelings had been so complex over the last week. I felt like a jumbled mess. I tried hard to look at him and see how I felt. I saw his eyes and all I could see was the sparkle and life in them, unlike those of the Solider in those photos in my parents file.

Maybe Steve and Tony were right. It wasn't even him. I knew that deep down.

Bucky exhaled. "It was me that broke it in the first place remember? I should be apologising to you. Again."

I shook my head. "No Bucky, I'd say you were justified in your actions, although a little extreme." I murmured.

Bucky laughed.

"Buck, I just want you to know. I've spoken to Loki, he knows it was a mistake, he knows how I feel about you. There's nothing there with him I swear." I began to plead, not really sure where it was going.

"Look Laurel—" Bucky began, "—a lot of things happened. I don't blame you. I don't like or trust that little Weasel, but I just love you so much and I want you in whatever way I can have you. I've told you, I'll do whatever you want." Bucky whispered.

He wore an uncomfortable look on his face, as he suddenly stepped forward and crouched down in front of me, going to place his hands on my knees but seemingly hesitating at the action.

"I know Buck." I stammered.

I didn't know how to explain what was in my heart. A conflict.

"I'm so sorry about your parents Laurel, how are you feeling?" He asked sincerely as his eyes darkened in pain.

His eyebrows drew together tightly as he studied me.

My breathing stopped for a minute as I reminded myself to swallow down the grief. I nodded.