Chapter 38

[Bucky's POV]

[Bucky's POV]

My heart was pounding like never before.

This was so different from all the other times Laurel was hurt.

I felt paralysed by terror.

I had run as fast as my legs would carry me to the lab whilst Bruce held doors open, and Tony had summoned all the medical staff who'd been preparing over the last few months for baby's arrival. With our child sharing my super serum DNA, we had no clue when they'd be making its appearance.

Despite all this, I didn't feel ready.

Laurel's face was contorted in pain, as wave after wave of contractions hit back to back, leaving her no time to rest in between.

She had already vomited twice since we'd made it to the medical bay. I knew she was trying to hold in screams of anguish for my sake, but it destroyed me to see her like this.

I placed an ice pack on her head as another wave knocked her down, my eyes stinging with tears that I refused to let spill over. Not now. I needed to know that both my loves were safe.

Laurel gripped onto my vibranium arm from the bed she lay on, as doctors frantically ran around shouting at each other and checking machines she was being hooked up to. Despite it being the strongest metal on earth, I could feel her strength against it. I was suddenly grateful it wasn't my flesh one.

Sweat beaded off her face as she drew blood from her lip with the force she was biting. I turned around to get answers from the rush of doctors amongst us, feeling helpless and terrified.

"We're a month early, what's going on?" I asked, my voice coming out more impatient and wavering than I thought.

Just then, a female doctor who'd been overseeing Laurel's pregnancy walked into the room, putting a mask and glove on coming over to us.

Laurel was panting heavily through the pain, but I could tell she was trying to listen. I didn't want to panic her anymore.

"We knew this could've been a possibility with the baby's accelerated development. It seems Laurel's body wasn't able to fight against the super genes anymore." The doctor began, glancing up at the heart rate monitor next to Laurel's head.

The staff had ended up muting it because the racing beeps were too distressing. I knew her heartrate wasn't sustainable like this. I felt a pang of fear in my chest and guilt at the thought I'd done this to her.

The doctor bent down to check Laurel manually now and I held my breath as I stroked her head.

"It's ok. It's going to be ok. You're doing great." I whispered, but the words were empty.

Laurel didn't even have the breath to respond as her fingernails clawed against the metal of my arm.

"OK, this baby is well and truly on its way." The doctor said coming back up with a flash of concern in her eyes.