Chapter 18

I curled up into my seat on the Quinjet that Tony had sent for us upon hearing our mission was somewhat completed for now

I'd taken so much information in from Sharon that my head was reeling.

I felt like my whole identity and life I'd been lied to, not even really knowing my parents.

Were they even who I thought they were? What if everything about our family had been acts too?

I felt a deep sense of homesickness within my soul, not really knowing where home even was anymore.

Looking back on it all, it did make sense. Never being around, hushed words with Peggy living close by, but pretending to be nothing more than neighbours. The way they'd always been vague with others about their jobs, the glances they had given each other whenever there was an unexpected knock on the door—it fell into place.

I just hadn't expected it to hit so hard. And to be told by Sharon, who I hadn't even seen since I was a teenager, it just all stung.

All I had left of my parents were my memories. And I felt like I couldn't even trust them anymore.

I'd told Bucky when he'd walked into the house followed by Sam, after Sharon had excused herself and said her goodbyes, looking at me apologetically.

Bucky had held me in his arms but I wasn't in the mood to be comforted, I just needed space and time to process it all, which he eventually understood.

Sam had listened quietly to the conversation I'd had, looking at me with a pained expression. He was always so good at being empathetic towards people.

It was just strange how the universe had always planned for me to somehow cross paths with the Avengers, just like I had thought that fateful night when I'd met Bucky in the bar.

I wondered if Sharon knew, who else.

Had Zemo?
Had Tony?
Had anyone at MI6?

I felt a pang of sadness in my stomach but decided to push past it for now, nearly coming to land at the compound again.

As soon as we landed, I went to speak with Tony to debrief about the mission, whilst Sam and Bucky went to their rooms to clean themselves.

I was still sore from the fights from the last few days and hobbled a little, but didn't want anyone to see that. I didn't want to seem weak compared to everyone else who was so gifted and strong. That part of me who'd had to look after herself since she was a kid would never go away.

Opening the lab doors, I saw Tony and Bruce hunched over a sample of something under the microscope. I cleared my throat letting them know I was there.

Tony looked up at me, smiling enthusiastically.

"Hey Blondie!" He greeted, walking over to me and patting me on the shoulder affectionally.