Chapter 28

"This is so crazy

"This is so crazy." I breathed as we sat down at a cafe in the city, after the medical appointment.

The appointment that had just potentially altered the course of our lives forever in ways I couldn't even fathom yet.

Bucky stroked his temples as he took a sip of his black coffee, before reaching out a hand across the table to me. He smiled softly.

"I honestly haven't processed it all." He mumbled.

I didn't mind that this wasn't a classic reaction to a pregnancy. We were both adults who had experienced significant trauma and we were open enough with each other to share these worries. It's why it worked between Bucky and I.

"Me neither Buck. I'm terrified." I replied, chewing my lip nervously.

He squeezed my hand three times and I squeezed it back four.

"I am beyond terrified. I think out of everything in life, this is genuinely the most scary." Bucky tried to laugh half heartedly.

"Give me supersoldiers any day." I responded, taking a sip of my herbal tea.

I'd normally drink ordinary tea but now I wasn't sure what I could and couldn't have.

I cringed thinking about the binge drinking at Tony's party and hoping it hadn't done any damage. The doctor said it was too early for a scan, but to be honest, I knew from here on out it needed to be dealt with on the Compound to avoid media leaks and keep confidentiality.

I couldn't believe I was even thinking these thoughts.

"Speaking of-" Bucky began and cleared his throat. "- when we go to get Walker, I don't think you should come. It's too dangerous now."

I frowned and shook my head.

"Bucky, I am not giving up my career and identity. Not this early on anyway. I've fought so hard to get it back. I've not even been with you guys that long." I said firmly, removing my hand slightly from his as I felt an argument coming.

Bucky had anticipated I would say this and exhaled quickly. I could tell he was trying to be patient.

"Laurel, if we're doing this, I need you safe. Walker is bad news. Look what he did to you last time and he didn't even have the serum in him then!" Bucky said through hushed tones, looking around him self-consciously to make sure no one was paying attention. I sighed.

"I'm well aware of my limitations as a weak human James. But this is my fight. I'll be careful, but I'm not going to not go." I warned, feeling anger rising inside of me.

We'd spent weeks on weeks tracking down John and it looked like we were set to be called any day now. I wasn't going to sit back for nine months and do nothing.

I'd trained for this, I could be useful. Women didn't just become helpless when they were pregnant did they?

"Laurel." He frowned, stroking his face with his palms in frustration.