Chapter 37

[Bucky's POV]

[Bucky's POV]

"This has got to be a joke. Who the hell can make sense of these instructions?!" I said angrily as I tossed the booklet to Sam, who looked confused at all the parts of the changing table we need to assemble.

"You pretty much made a crib from scratch, why is this so hard?" Sam said as he sighed in annoyance.

We'd been here for an hour already trying to get the damn thing together and it was proving tougher than any mission we'd ever been on before.

"Yeah well, that was easier, I can't make sense of all these pieces and loose screws. It's like the world's worst jigsaw puzzle." I moaned.

I was trying to do everything I could to get our house and lives ready for our child before it came into this world. I was busying myself with anything practical I could get my hands on, and I knew Laurel was doing the same, both of us not wanting to dwell on the fear of what was actually coming too much.

Just then Steve walked in trailing Vision behind him as he carried three cups of coffee, handing me one wearily.

I smiled gratefully as I stood up to accept it. I wasn't getting much sleep now we were getting nearer to the end.

"I brought backup, I figured if anyone can figure out Ikea flatpack furniture, it's him." Steve said gesturing to Vision who looked pointedly at Steve.

"When you said you needed help on a project Captain, I did not realise it would be in the construction of infant equipment." Vision retorted. I smirked.

"If you can't do it, none of us stand a chance." Sam said rolling his eyes.

"Two supersoldiers and an ex-paratrooper cannot assemble a simple piece of furniture? Oh my, I worry about humanity." Vision joked as he took the instructions from Sam, flipping through and scanning over quickly before walking over to the tools and grabbing a handful.

"Got it." He confirmed before moving over to begin putting the pieces together.

I groaned, even the robot could do a better job than me, as the father. Steve smirked at me as he patted my shoulder playfully.

Whilst Sam helped Vision with the changing table, Steve and I began installing a baby mobile over the crib that had little stars and planets on it. It was fiddly and I wasn't good at that kind of thing, but I was trying hard to become more patient, for my family. My fingers trailed over the soft material of the sun that hung at the centre and I smiled.

Soon, our child would be lying underneath this, staring up at it with innocent eyes, only seeing wonder and possibility, knowing nothing of the hurt in this world.

I envied them, but I was excited for them. I wanted them to have the opposite of my life. I wanted them to know nothing of the struggles or horrors that humans could inflict on each other. I just wanted them to know love, unconditional love and I was still worried if I'd be able to prove that to them.