A Mysterious Package from the Past

Early morning—the last day of summer— a teenage boy is already awake in bed, feeling sad about the end of summer but also feeling really excited about being a senior in high school. He hears a car outside their house, then the doorbell rings.

*Ding-Dong-Ding-Dong*

He steps outside to see who it is. It isn’t a car, it’s a van from the courier service. They present him a piece of paper to sign— which he does – and hand him a package in exchange. The parcel is heavy and thick. It is wrapped in brown paper and is held together with tape and twine. Before he could ask the delivery men anything, they drive away.

“Oh, a package, who’s it for?” his mother asks as he enters their front door.

“It’s—“ he looks at the addressee indicated on the package.

Grayson Blanco

 “—for me,” he finishes.

Grayson continues to inspect the package as he makes his way to his room. 

“Did you order anything online? Anyway, put it away first in your room and have breakfast with your mom and me,” his dad urges.

“Ok dad,” Grayson replies as he carefully cuts open the wrapping paper revealing thick spring binder bound in red leather. There’s something on the front cover.

He pulls it out of the package and reads the inscription on the cover. It’s inscribed in gold letters.

To the Future,

From the Past