Waiting

The Greenvale High Students are still outside the main school building but this time Sir Bert has allowed them to stay inside the campus as long as they don’t interrupt the exam inside the gym. The Greenvale High students have now spread inside the front of the campus. They have naturally divided into groups of friends, cliques, clubs and classes. Each of the many groups finds a place where they could stay. Some stay under large trees surrounding the campus, while others stay at the huts and sheds built specifically for students. There is a low droning of voices but they are no longer shouting his name. They have been asked nicely by Sir Bert, and besides, they know the consequences if they interrupt the exam, so they comply.

When there are unruly students who seem to forget why they’re there and try to shout or make a scene that may interrupt the exam in the gym, it is Lisa, her two friends and Clifford who take action. They shush their peers and remind them of the significance of what they’re doing— what Grayson is doing— and of the consequences if they fail to maintain silence and disrupt the events inside the school. This works. Everyone that they remind, apologize and behave.

Erin stays with the Greenvale High Seniors. Like the rest of her class, she is waiting for Grayson but she has complete faith that he’ll pass. Time seems to slow down to a crawl; she tries to take her mind off the waiting by talking with friends and classmates. It seems like this is what all the seniors are doing.