The Heroine

Carrying two heavy books with her (Calculus and Physics), Erin comes down the stairs. She is still smiling because of the mess they made in the library. She can’t remember the last time she had so much fun— especially not with Grayson.

Making her way down the last flight of stairs, the loud roaring voices of her peers shock her. It takes her a second to realize that this is a mob of her angry batchmates and right smack in the middle is Grayson. Erin hears them blaming Grayson. Before she could think about it, she is already making her way through the crowd— the Greenvale High Senior mob. She drops her books as she fights her way through to get to Grayson.

“STOOOOOOP!” Erin shouts at the top of her lungs. She is now in the middle with Grayson. Maybe as a sign of respect to her or maybe they’re just shocked to see their valedictorian scream, they stop.

“Seniors! Batchmates! Why are you ganging up on Grayson? He has done nothing wrong. All he ever cared about was to share what was given to him. He shared because he cared enough to actually want his entire batchmates to graduate together! And you had the choice to use it or not. And to tell you the truth, those were not “cheat sheets” they are old notes and test papers from past years compiled. They are nothing but study guides. At the very least, you should be thankful. Besides you were not supposed to bring them to the exams—.” Some of the seniors look down in shame.

“You were not supposed to make crib sheets and hide them in the folds of your skirts during exams.” Some senior girls look down.

“And you were not— I repeat— NOT— in any circumstance supposed to take a selfie and put #cheating on it! Isn’t that right Clifford Perez?” Erin looks at Clifford with a wry smile.

“But—“ Clifford starts to protest but is immediately bombarded by the Greenvale High Seniors’ jeers. They have found a new target.

Erin starts to talk again. The seniors listen to their valedictorian.

“You may or may not have cheated— but this is all our fault— everyone of us. We’re all in this together. Let’s act like it. The faculty has chosen him to be our only hope. Instead of blaming Grayson, let’s support him. He is the one fighting for us.”

The Greenvale High Seniors begin to disperse. One by one and in small groups, they break away from the mob and go home. Soon enough only Grayson, Erin and Clifford are left. Clifford looks so angry and frustrated. He still can’t look at the two in front of him. He clenches his fists. Grayson prepares himself for a fight. Clifford takes a step forward and quickly walks away, passing the two without so much as a word.

Erin sighs in relief; so too does Sir Bert who has been watching everything play out from the top of the stairs.

“Are you alright?” Erin asks Grayson.

“Yeah, Thanks.” Grayson answers. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. He relaxes his hands that were balled up in fists. “So, you finally got to save me,” Grayson grins.

“Yeah, I guess I did,” Erin says proudly.

Grayson smiles as he stoops down to pick up her books.

“Physics and Calculus? Hmmm… I think it’s going to be a long day tomorrow,” Grayson comments. “Shall I escort you now to the school carriage O dear lady knight?” He playfully asks as he bows down.

“You may,” she answers in her most majestic and elegant manner.

The two cheerfully walk over to the school parking lot where the Greenvale School buses wait for the students. Except for a couple of teachers’ cars, the parking lot is empty. There are no school buses in sight.

“Oh, they’re gone,” Erin breaks character as she realized that the school bus has already left without her.

“Don’t you worry m’lady, I will accompany thou to thy home,” Grayson offers.

“Very well dear sir. You are verily gracious to thy heroine,” Erin majestically answers.

They both laugh.

They commute home via public transportation.