Apart yet Longing to be Together

At the time that Erin is supposed to be asking Grayson some review questions about Physics concepts, Erin is watching a funny movie with her parents. They are all cozy in their living room sofa eating chips and drinking fruit juice. At the time that Grayson is supposed to be solving Calculus problems that Erin presents, Grayson is in his room playing a first person shooter game on his computer. They do this to try and busy their minds. They don’t want to face the uncertainties and the questions of what happened, what it means, why it happened and what now? It’s all too much for them to handle right now, especially with the Greenvale High School Senior final exam that’s designed specifically for Grayson still to come. But try as hard as they can, they can’t stop their thoughts and their hearts from crossing the street.

They may not have seen each other personally, nor communicated through any means but their thoughts have been of each other the entire day. Now, in each of their beds, ready to sleep, they let their hearts call out for the other.

Erin snuggles under her comforter, hugs her teddy bear and whispers “Grayson.”

Grayson stares into the ceiling, closes his eyes as he whispers “Erin.”