━ chapter nineteen

story is in 3rd pov from now on

Later that day, the four other students had left Mirko's agency- not without one boy making a sneaky remark at Mai.  "Now... let's begin the actual training." Mirko clapped her hands together loudly, a menacing grin on her face. Mai gulped nervously.

The entire day, Mirko had Mai fight her continuously until she no longer could anymore. Mai collapsed to her knees out of breath. "Just kill me..." She pleaded, slumping her body face first onto the floor. Mirko shook her head. "Talent like you! Never! Now get back up, let me show you what you did wrong."

The internship continued much like that, Mirko not going much easier as the week progressed. "Come on weakling! A baby can move faster than that!" She jeered. Mai wiped sweat from her forehead. "You know-" she dodged the kick Mirko sent at her. "You remind me a lot of one of my... friends." Mai spoke, slamming her hand against Mirko's fist before swinging around and sending a kick to her back.

Mirko faltered slightly and immediately stopped. She turned around to the girl and smiled widely, "you're not half as bad as I thought you'd be! I'd almost go as far as to say we'd make a decent team!" She confessed. "And that says a lot, I hate teamwork!" Mai smiled brightly, "oh, it's nothing." She waved her hand sheepishly.

"Your problem isn't anything to do with your reflexes or skill, it's your strength..." Mirko explained stepping closer to the girl. "... and, well, maybe a bit up there too." Mirko tapped Mai's head lightly. Mai blinked slowly her lips pursed in annoyance. "Right... how do I fix that?" Mai responded. "The smart thing? Honestly you might be a bit too far gone-"

"The strength thing!" Mai interrupted. Mirko made an O shape with her lips before closing them. "Weights." She replied simply. "And try fighting with your classmates using more force than just trying to avoid their attacks." She advised. Mai nodded slowly at the woman. "Got it."

"Great," Mirko raised her fists. "Then let's try this again.

The internship went by extremely fast, especially after hearing about the Hosu incident. 

"Thank you very much, Mirko- it was a pleasure." Mai bows to the woman in front of her. She laughs loudly, waving her hand. "Pleasure was all mine. I hope to see you soon Mai-San!" She calls. Mai turns and walks away, heading for the train station. 

Standing outside the gates of UA, she scrolled the past texts between Bakugou and her. They hadn't spoken since that first morning, but that didn't stop the girl from blushing. "Who's the boy-" 

Mai shrieks, looking up at the pink girl. "Mina! What is wrong with you?!" She exclaims. Mina laughs loudly, attempting to snatch her phone. "No way!" Mai lifts the phone above her head. She leaps for it and Mai pulls her arm back. 

"What's this?" Her phone is snatched from behind. Her eyes widen and she spins around- "Bakugou-" Mina interrupts Mai. "Mai-Chan has a crush!" She exclaims. Mai turns and gives her a death glare to which she ignores. "A crush?!" Kirishima chimes in. Mai slaps her face. 

"Yep! She was looking at texts and blushing." Mina exposes. Mai gasps and points at her, "Liar! I was not blushing!" She cries. "So you were reading texts." She points out. Mai groans in annoyance, turning to a smirking Bakugou who was looking at her open phone. 

"Blushing, huh?" He asks Mina. She nods vigorously, "Smiling all cute too!" She exclaims. Mai grasps Mina's shoulders, shaking her roughly. "I'm going to kill you!" She yells. "Quick Kirishima, grab her before she attacks us all!" Denki calls. "Why me?!" He cries. "You can protect yourself with your quirk!" Kaminari defended. "But... She's scary!"