8

Lan Wangji was woken up by the sun that shone through the thin gossamer curtain, because he forgot to close the heavy velvet one, to see a very unfamiliar ceiling above. It was like he was thrown into some kind of vampire movie with their century old castles, which reminded him… 
He quickly regained his alertness and checked the bed beside him, to find the sleeping girl, bundled in a blanket like a burrito with both black and white cats in her embrace. Her dark hair flew everywhere, and there was drool in the corner of her lips. Her long lashes touched the cute chubby cheeks and for the nth time since yesterday, Lan Wangji's heart melted. He thought it was just a dream with all the peculiar things that happened in the past twenty four hours. And the more important thing was that his view on the supernatural and science now had undergone a slight change ever since he met Xie Lian and saw what he could do. Not too extreme, but he could feel that his view had shifted a bit. After all, he was still a man of science for all of his life.

Lan Wangji kissed the little girl's forehead and went to the balcony to meditate. He needed a clear mind to face what chaos would soon be coming today.

It was an hour later when he finished his meditation and rolled backward to do his daily exercise routines, when his eyes met with a pair of silvery gold ones, who observed him from not an inch away. They were upside down, well, he was upside down, while the girl was lying down on her stomach with the two cats beside her side each, silently watching him. Then she smiled brightly and clapped her hands.

"Wow, Mister, you're amazing! Can you teach me to stand upside down like that?" She giggled and then tried to imitate him and succeed on the first try, although her hands were a little bit wobbly.

Lan Wangji smiled and was about to compliment her when the door to his room suddenly burst open, and in came her mother with a furious look in her face.

"Lan Wangji! How come you did not go home last night and tell me about what happened…" She stopped and gasped when she saw the upside down little girl that was about to fall down from her handstand, but quickly cushioned by Lan Wangji so her head did not land on the carpet, however soft it was.

Yuwen Xing was flabbergasted seeing the view in front of her. Her son was doing the handstand he always did every morning without fail, while topless, and now one of his hands held the head of a strange little girl with the eyes like a galaxy, surrounded by two cats. The scene that they made was very domestic, like father and daughter, and it made Yuwen Xing's heart burst from the tenderness, and she forgot about what she was going to scold her son about.

"Wangji… this…" 

Before she could continue though, the girl jumped to her knees, reached for Yuwen Xing's hand and kissed it lightly, just like a prince.

"Hello, ma'am, my name is Wei Ying, courtesy name Wei Wuxian, and I'm six years old. Nice to see you." The girl spoke very formally in French, and she even curtsied.

Lan Wangji observed the strangely familiar gentlemanly manner. Six years old. Last night she was five.

" Wangji, you tell me right now what happened. Why do you have a little girl with you? Did you kidnap her? I get it that she looks a bit like Momo, but…" she gasped, then she looked closer at the girl's eyes. " Is she your daughter? " The golden eyes of the Yuwens family were exclusive to their chosen heir, and this girl's eyes were partially gold.

"Mom, please, in what universe could I produce a six years old daughter overnight?" He rolled his eyes, then focused his attention on the girl. "Wei Ying?" Lan Wangji held out his hand to her. "You are six years old now?"

"Yes, Mister. By the way, who are you guys? Where am I?" She still spoke with the heavily accented French, but she showed no fear given that she woke up in an unfamiliar environment with two strangers talking to her.

"We met last night, did you forget?" Lan Wangji was itching to fix the flyaway hair on her face, which she then blew away herself. This girl was strangely very mature despite her young age. Was Wei Ying also like this when he was at this age? Lan Wangji's heart suddenly felt a pang of longing to know everything about Wei Wuxian, no matter how small or insignificant.

"Mm, I don't think so, Mister. If I met a good looking man like you last night, I would definitely not forget." She grinned at Lan Wangji. Well, at least the teasing nature was still there , but why did she forget him? And why did she act so calmly despite waking up amongst strangers?

"Hey, there, pretty girl, do you want to go downstairs with grandmaman ? Are you hungry? Look at you, so beautiful." Madam Yuwen glared at her son and extended her hands to the girl to offer to carry her, which she took with a smile. Yuwen Xing walked out of the door while carrying the girl, and she spoke to Lan Wangji in a cold voice.

"We need to talk later. Right now I'm going to pamper my granddaughter ." Then she left with the girl in hand.

Lan Wangji sighed and he quickly took a shower and followed his mother downstairs, where the chaos had supposedly already begun. But on the contrary, the dining room was almost empty except for his mother who was talking to Hua Cheng and the girl, who was sitting in her lap, drinking soy milk and munching jianbing, the chinese crepes.

"Where's Xie Lian?" He asked them and took Wei Wuxian out off his mother's lap. She had a milk moustache, so Lan Wangji wiped it out with the edge of his shirt, making Yuwen Xing widened her eyes in disbelief.

"Lab." Hua Cheng answered him, he was used to Lan Wangji being out of character if it concerned Wei Wuxian. "Everyone's there, examining Momo. I was just waiting for you."

They were walking downstairs when Yuwen Xing pulled Lan Wangji close and started to whisper to him.
"So, is it true? About… everything?"

Lan Wangji knew that Hua Cheng must have told her mother everything, since she had that expression, a mixture between forlorn and disbelief. And he got it, really, because he was feeling the same. In a way, he still remembered clearly about that night six month ago, when he lost his beloved and forgot everything in his despair, although now Xie Lian said that someone had put some kind of memory erasing array on him that was messing with his head. So, while he was quite taken with the little girl, he was still having a hard time to believe that this little person was his soulmate, the one he had been searching for, and lost, and found again, and lost again. In short, he was still skeptical, until he could see some clear evidence that the soul inside this body was really that of Wei Wuxian, instead of blindly believing all that mumbo jumbo about… magic, and everything else. But whatever happened, he would still take care of the little girl, because it felt like she was the last remaining tie between him and his beloved.

So when they entered the lab and saw a huge orange array on top of Mo Xuanyu's body, making him suspended in the middle of the empty air, the three of them paused and gawked.