26

"Lan Zhan," Wei Wuxian whispered to Lan Wangji when Jiang Cheng was talking on the phone with the morgue. "Do you remember the Mo Xuanyu's murder? Where Jin Zixun watched from the background? What if Mo Xuanyu was actually their intended target? Whoever these sickos are? But because of some unforeseen situation, he ended up dead, and Jin Zixun had to find a new girl." Wei Wuxian pointed at the date found on the dead girl, and the day the last girl was reported missing. "The dead girl was found a week longer than the others, and the girl that we found last night was kidnapped right after. What if they were supposed to kidnap Mo Xuanyu, but because he died, they extended the dead girl's stay and tried to find a quick replacement?"

"The timeline was a match." Lan Wangji thought about this coincidence that did not look like a coincidence anymore. "If that's so, then Jin Zixun was more of an animal than I thought. Mo Xuanyu was his paternal step-sibling, and yet, he tried to kidnap and raped him? That was so fucked up."

"If we can prove this, his ass will be thrown in jail forever. But first, we need to see the autopsy report and go back to the forest. And talked to the Han's girl. She was found a month ago, the dead girl two weeks ago and Yuanyuan was found yesterday. So, I think, they kept more than one girl each time."

Lan Wangji nodded and then Detective Jiang was back with their report.

"Did they test the DNA of the babies? From all the pregnant victims?" Wei Wuxian opened the report and noticed that the girl was killed by a shot through the heart, but the bullet was not found. She was malnourished, dehydrated, and had bruises all over her body.

"Yes, but the first victim declined the DNA test. We have two of them, and the one last night was in process."

"The results?"

"Different male donors, that's what made us not suspect a serial."

"Don't forget that the girl said there were three assailants," Wei Wuxian looked for his notes, "the second victim, Tang Yan. She was given a drink at her prom but she only took a sip, and she was quite adept at martial arts, that's why she escaped relatively unscathed, and not pregnant. The similarity with the others was just the same burn mark. I think we should go talk to her."

"Well, she went to the Cloud Recess University, we can drop by there later."

"Right, Detective Jiang, now should we go to the crime scene? It was quite a long journey there, you want to come with us?"

They arrived at the forest half an hour later by a chopper, and they went straight to the place where Wei Wuxian found the girl last night. It had been cordoned off by the police, and had been processed by the crime scene unit. But Wei Wuxian had another thing on his mind.

"Have you prepared the dogs?" He asked Detective Jiang.
"Yes, they are five minutes away."

"Good. Now let's see where these bastards kept her."

The dogs found the blood trail from the girl, and it ended up in an empty hunting cabin. The police then quickly cordoned off the area, before they entered the cabin. The inside was quite scarce, with rustic wood furniture and one big bed separated by a curtain from the table. It showed that someone had been living there recently, judging by the dirty plates on the sink, and the leftover breakfast.

"It's been a couple of days since anyone was here." Wei Wuxian looked at the moldy bread and the sink. "Look at the bed." He walked toward the bed. There were blood stains on it, and the leftover rope, obviously cut by a rusty bread knife. "I think she was being held here, and somehow she could get away by cutting the rope with the bread knife."

"She's a fighter, it seems." Detective Jiang nodded. He signaled the officer outside and the crime scene investigators came in and started to work to preserve the crime scene.