Fever [Lou x Debbie]

Fever
BlackAcre13

Never know how much I love you
Never know how much I care
When you put your arms around me
I get a fever that's so hard to bear
You give me fever,

When you kiss me
Fever when you hold me tight
Fever
In the mornin', a fever all through the night

- Fever by Peggy Lee

"Debs, you've got to stop doing this to yourself." Lou pleaded.

Debbie pressed the red "end" button on her phone, pushing down with too much force. Too much purpose.

Lou had woken up to a chill in the room, frowning when she realized that the Debbie who had been practically pasted to her hip, her hair fanned out across Lou's chest, was no longer attached to her and not even in the bed with her.

She rolled over to Debbie's night table and picked up Danny's watch, squinting at the time. Shit. She knew exactly where Debbie had gone. Physically, it wasn't far away at all. But mentally...

Lou stood up from the bed, feeling around on the floor for her old ratty plaid robe that was practically in threads, and threw it on over her boyshorts. She padded into the hallway and down the stairs, squinting as she reached the living room and saw the brightness of her lamp Debbie had lit. Debbie was staring down at her cell phone and Lou frowned, knowing exactly what she'd been doing.

"I just needed to—" Debbie scrambled for the words, staring at the contact name on her phone.

"I know." Lou sympathized. She leaned her hips against the couch and slid a hand down the cushions offering it out to Debbie.

"He's really gone?" Debbie asked the ground.

"He's really gone." Lou nodded, echoing Debbie's soft question. She pulled her hand away noting that her peace treaty of sorts hadn't been taken by Debbie. Yet.

Debbie nodded in silence and continued to look down at the ground.

"I just wanted to..." Debbie trailed off when she couldn't find the words.

Lou shifted to a standing position before circling around the couch to where she settled in front of Debbie.

"I just..." Debbie repeated quietly.

"Come with me," Lou smiled, holding out her hand.

Debbie gripped it firmly, tighter than usual, Lou noted. Lou tugged her gently through the living room and towards the kitchen.

She settled Debbie onto a stool chair and leaned across the table with her hands under her chin.

"Breakfast or dinner?"

"Lou, it's 1am." Debbie frowned.

"Pick one." Lou shrugged

"Breakfast...no, dinner. Wait—"