Kuudere

Modern AU

Definition- A Kuudere, sometimes written as Kūdere or just Kudere, refers to a character who is often cold, blunt, and cynical. They may seem very emotionless and stoic on the outside, but on the inside, they're very caring, at least when it comes to the ones they love. Kuudere is the last well-known main dere, the kuuderes, are those characters that look expressionless, won't react to whatever the love interest says, don't get jokes, and are most likely regarded as some sort of genius of high IQ.

"How does Naruto do it?" Sakura asked her best friend Ino as she saw Naruto rush out of the lecture hall. "I mean, I have never seen Shikamaru crack a smile and we've all been friends since kindergarten!" 

Ino looked up from her psychology notes to see the tail end of Naruto's flannel shirt as he headed out to meet Shikamaru for their usual lunch date. She could see what Sakura was saying but she knew Shikamaru. He was easy to write off as an asshole. He was cold, blunt, emotionless, a genius but also didn't put up with people's shit when the time arose. She merely clicked her pen a few times too many before packing up. 

"Shikamaru has emotions and I don't doubt he has a love for Naruto. He's just different," Ino said with a shrug as she thought back on when they became together. It's been a few years really ever since the start of high school and now they were in the last months of college. 

****High School****

"Ne Shika-kun, thanks for lending me your notes," Naruto said softly as he approached the boy after classes. He looked up nervously only to start chuckling as he realized Shikamaru was asleep in his palm. He sat in the seat in front of him and waited patiently. Eventually, he fell asleep just as Shikamaru woke up. 

The Nara did a silent yawn and stared at the blonde who had occupied the rest of his desk with his head. Shikamaru rose a contemplative eyebrow at the sudden increase in his heartbeat as he stared at the blonde. He rests his hand into a full nest of soft glowing locks and quietly acknowledged that it was extremely soft. So he started playing in it, all with a blank expression. Eventually, Naruto woke up to the feeling and laid there just relishing in the fact that his crush was playing in his hair. 

"Your hair is nice, can I play in it next time?" Shikamaru asked as Naruto picked his head up. 

'So forward,' Naruto thought before nodding, a bit weirded out but it was whatever. 

The next couple of weeks after school Shikamaru had just taken his hand after final class and dragged him to an empty classroom. The same process repeated again only this time Naruto was made to kneel at Shikamaru's feet with the help of some pillows since they were in the Home Economics department classroom. It was surreal to Naruto as Shikamaru was so gentle with him, he felt almost like he was back in his mother's lap. 

He fell asleep and woke up in a car that was being driven by Shikamaru. The Nara looked over and nudged him with a milkshake. Naruto stared at it perplexed, Shikamaru made a motion like a quiet sigh and sipped it for a bit before pressing it to Naruto's lips. Naruto took it without a word and the two sat in the car looking out at a sunset. Naruto couldn't stop the blush that was slowly rising to his cheeks. He was hanging out with his crush and that felt incredible. Once the sun was down Shikamaru started the car to leave. 

"Where do you live?" Shikamaru asked as he backed out of the parking lot. Naruto told him his address and didn't say a word for the entire drive. It felt wrong to ruin the peace they had found. When he was at his apartment complex Shikamaru did something completely out of character that he himself knew. He leaned over the console and pulled Naruto into a kiss. The blonde was surprised and he knew Shikamaru could see it since both their eyes were open. He gave in however and kissed him back passionately. 

His hands ran down Shikamaru's lean figure in comparison to his muscular one and found himself fantasizing about the Nara pressed against him, skin on skin and he grew more greedy as he kept his arms firmly around his waist. When they eventually pulled back Shikamaru didn't look breathless at all and Naruto was a completely sputtering mess with a blush. He thought he was ruining whatever moment they were sharing by being so affected by it but he saw something that made him throw it away. 

Shikamaru was wearing a small smile. One of slight amusement. "These last few weeks I acknowledge that I care about you and I want you to care about me too," Shikamaru stared him dead in the eye with the same usual blank expression but Naruto could feel his heart beating quickly. He was honestly impressed Shikamaru could say it with such a dead expression but Naruto knew if he proceeded into the relationship that Shikamaru's heartbeat would never lie to him. 

So with his signature grin, he confessed to his crush. 

It started out a bit awkward, Shikamaru was not one for laughter or even getting a joke across. Their dates were quiet with bits of affection. Everyone in their friend group didn't see the relationship lasting long as they thought Shikamaru had finally decided to give Naruto's obvious crush on him a chance. But Naruto refused their negativity when it hit a three-month mark. Shikamaru had started to retaliate in his silent way by glaring them to death which made them curl on the inside as it seems the raven had started showing some affection to Naruto more in public. 

Naruto would defend that Shikamaru was affectionate with him but no one could see the raven in that light. It was making Naruto frustrated since he knew Shikamaru's heart never lied to him. So Shikamaru stepped up, he began holding Naruto's hand, leaning up to play in his hair, allow kisses in the halls or at lunch. And the more they got affectionate the more people believed in their relationship which is what both wanted. They didn't want negative energy around them as that soured the atmosphere. 

Many would still gripe that Shikamaru would never react to Naruto's outrageous behavior when things hit the fan at school but they both shrugged it off. Naruto like Shikamaru's personality, a quiet, aloof persona to complement his wild persona. 

****End****

Sakura and Ino passed the couple in the courtyard and saw Naruto blabbing about classes while Shikamaru sat on the bench obviously studying. Sakura was going to make a comment but the words died in her mouth when Shikamaru suddenly turned and kissed him shut before going back to his work. Then they could overhear the next conversation. 

"You're jealous aren't you," Naruto teased as he pulled Shikamaru into his chest. "I told you already Neji is just a really cool guy and we clicked in class." 

Shikamaru's eyes didn't tear away from the book nor did he acknowledge Naruto's statement. "I have not voiced any discontent for this new acquaintance you've garnered."

"Yeah, but your facial muscles tell me something different," Naruto shot right back with a bit of a frown. "You're my beloved Shikamaru, I know these things." 

What came next had Ino blinking in shock. Shikamaru was blushing and Naruto captured him in a kiss that had Shikamaru chuckling towards the end of it. 

"I take it back and fuck he's handsome like that," Sakura said with a look of awe. 

"That's my best friend," Ino cheered quietly.