Bakadere

Modern AU 

Definition-A "Bakadere" refers to a character who is very clumsy and stupid. More often than not, they lack common sense.

"Idiot," Shikamaru said fondly as he slapped the stack of papers on Naruto's forehead. The blonde looked next to tears at the disaster he had caused in their home. Shikamaru had gotten a call about the fire alarm going off in their home and in an effort to save his fiancé he rushed home only to see it was a false alarm and Naruto was just being sweet and stupid again. 

"I-I'm sorry," Naruto cried as he buried his face in the other's chest. "I'm sorry." 

"It's okay, it's fine you were just being an idiot. How many times do I have to tell you, to stop cooking when you feel sleepy? It could've been worse you're lucky," Shikamaru said softly as he looked forlornly at the stove. The heat had turned up so high that the pots melted into the stove. "Let's head out for the night, my treat." 

That made Naruto start laughing. "It's always your treat." 

'Because you are a target when it comes to paying for things.' Shikamaru thought as he remembered how someone tried to upsell Naruto whenever they went out shopping. Naruto's naivete shows on his face blatantly. He's easily star-eyed by the world, such a sweet soul, and Shikamaru had taken it upon himself to forever protect him. He would keep the harshness of the world away from him. 

"Alright go put on pretty clothes and I'll make some calls to have the stove replaced," Shikamaru ushered his soon-to-be husband into their bedroom and pulled out his phone, and called the appliance store he had on speed dial. He ordered a new stove before requesting the old one to be picked up as well. 

Shikamaru took a quick shower and changed as well before tossing his fiancé over his shoulder and walking out the door. "Shikamaru I can walk to the elevator," Naruto complained as they entered the space and Shikamaru pressed the ground floor. 

"No, you can't you always trip over the non-existent object that's in your way." 

"I already told you it's the ghost!" 

Shikamaru stifled a laugh as the elevator took them down. "I doubt any ghosts want to torment you, darling. Your legs are just noodles." 

Naruto giggled as Shikamaru playfully spun them around in the almost empty parking lot. "Hey, Shikamaru do you remember when we did this all the time in Highschool?" 

"Remember when we met in Highschool? You were such a klutz," Shikamaru opened the car and dropped the other gently in the seat before buckling him in. "I still remember it like yesterday, you are too damn bright." 

Naruto flashed him the signature grin that made Shikamaru melt. They linked hands, their matching engagement rings sparkling. Shikamaru had fallen in love all over again by Naruto's glowing eyes when he stared at his ring. "I love you Shikamaru." 

"I love you too Naruto, come on let's get you some ramen." 

Shikamaru closed the door and got on his side and they headed out. Naruto had reached over and joined their hands; he wore that goofy smile like he had done something smart. Shikamaru allowed him the little joy as the blonde played with his fingers. His mind started to drift as he wandered back to the memories that brought him the joy, he was going to call a husband in a few months. 

**********

They had met in high school when Naruto's grades had him on the verge of failing the grade. Shikamaru had been his tutor at first, he was annoyed with the other as he couldn't keep up with explanations because he was always distracted by whatever was going on in his mind. He couldn't fathom what fantasy Naruto was living in that would warrant such a spaced-out look. When he wasn't tutoring the other, he was slowly hearing about the blonde outside of tutoring hours. 

Apparently, he was far out of the loop as he kept seeing the blonde's blunders again and again. 'He is severely accident-prone.' Shikamaru had concluded one day as he saved the other from falling down a flight of stairs. Shikamaru had seriously considered that maybe the blonde had been dropped as a baby which is why he was so spaced in the head. But soon enough he found a solution that would work out a way for Naruto to improve his grades. 

And that had led Shikamaru to sleepless nights trying to draft comics of Naruto's favorite anime characters chatting about the different subjects. His father had asked why he was going that far for someone Shikamaru didn't even consider a friend. All that came to Shikamaru's mind was Naruto's apologetic smile when he snapped the blonde out of his daydream. Shockingly enough, everyone Shikamaru had found the sweet spot and Naruto's grades improved. 

And what started out as tutoring soon became them just genuinely hanging out. Shikamaru found it frustrating and cute when Naruto went blank when it came to common sense. Naruto wasn't only an idiot in school but he was overall a cute mess of idiocy. Shikamaru found himself grudgingly admitting that if Naruto wasn't as cute as he was then the blonde would've been on the receiving end of some seriously harsh bullying. It was the bright smile that lured him in and boy did he have to fight to get Naruto to see him how he saw the blonde. 

Everyone criticized him for dating him. He was the genius of the school what was he doing with the dumb blonde? It didn't make things any better when they started pushing him to be with Temari She was the female genius at school and she had a massive crush. It was a no-brainer! Even Naruto had started to become distant, he may be an idiot but he could see the truth if it was flaunted in his face more than enough times. 

Ino and Choji were the only ones who stuck to his decision. And to rub it in everyone's faces that he wasn't backing down he then promised Naruto that he would marry him when they got older. He even got him a fox jewel necklace as promised. Of course, Shikamaru wasn't one of those idiots that married right out of high school. Nope, college and job first then a big wedding for his dumb blonde. Naruto didn't want to do bookwork anymore and though he got a diploma, his transcripts were not up to code for the colleges Shikamaru wanted to go to. They had to part for a while, Shikamaru went to the big leagues and Naruto found his passion in cosmetology school. 

Now back together in their penthouse, they were happy, Naruto tripped over everything and did stupid shit that makes Shikamaru question why he was fond of the blonde but that stupid smile would lure him back in. Sometimes he wished Naruto wasn't such an airhead but it was refreshing to have such positivity when he was feeling down. It was obvious the world never touched Naruto and he selfishly wanted to keep it that way. It was Uzumaki's charm. 

Naruto's thoughts were on a similar path but he was mentally flinching at all the trips and screw-ups he's had with Shikamaru. He wished his legs would listen to him and not embarrass him, that he didn't get sleepy easily and leave things going. One time he left a curling iron on because as he was doing his hair, he stepped away from the mirror to get some rods and got distracted by the cartoons on television. It was when the smoke alarm came on did Naruto realize what he had done. A permanent scar on the bathroom counter reminded him of this every time. 

Other times they were large-scale things like what happened today, he was a physical and mental danger to himself and his lover but Shikamaru never got angry, didn't yell, didn't raise a hand to him. He only called him an idiot fondly, like he was so enamored with his lack of common sense. But Shikamaru did help him, told him not to do this before going onto that particular task or even today. Don't cook if you're sleepy. It was the little reminders that popped into his head when he found himself in the situation again. 

He couldn't understand why someone as gifted as Shikamaru would be so enraptured by him but Naruto was only happy he was. He loved Shikamaru and was glad Shikamaru loved him. He wouldn't sweat the small details and just enjoyed how things were. He found himself giggling. 

"I'm an idiot," Naruto said as he gripped the other's fingers. Shikamaru smiled as he kept his eyes on the road. 

"I know."