Ahodere

Definition: Ahodere characters are characters who are oblivious to others' feelings. Regardless of how many hints they receive, or how obvious it is that someone is in love with them, they are simply unable to understand how their love interest feels until they outright say "I love you". Because of how oblivious ahodere characters can be, they may do typically romantic things with their love interest without realizing the implications. They will act confused when their love interest acts embarrassed. When they do realize that they're in love, they will be very surprised and may start to act differently around their love interest, usually in a very idiotic manner.

"Here," Naruto said as he slid a half-eaten lunch over to the shorter male. "You can even use my chopsticks." 

Shikamaru blushed a bit, their friends looked on with sad smiles for Shikamaru. Imagine a genius falling for such an oblivious male. They were getting stuffed with dog food every day when Naruto treats him like this. Giving him half his lunch, saying it was fine to use his chopsticks of all things and watching him finish it. 'Oh Shikamaru, why him of all people,' Ino wondered as she watched her best friend eat Naruto's lunch. She smirked, Naruto was the most oblivious person in the group, he couldn't even pick up Hinata's love when she was so open. 

It was what led her to move on after several tries at explaining to the blonde. Granted she didn't do a good job, she stuttered through all of it, and in the end, Naruto couldn't string any sentences and ultimately placed it in Hinata being a weird category. Ino hoped Shikamaru wasn't the same, Naruto obviously felt the same but even he was oblivious to his own feelings. It was a pain in the ass to deal with but Shikamaru had a fighting chance. 

Besides Shikamaru was good with words, wonderful even whether speaking or writing. He could snap Naruto out of his oblivious nature. When lunch was over and they were heading out Naruto casually took Shikamaru's hand in his and led him away to their shared class while their friends cheered Shikamaru on. The Nara hid his face away from the blonde but Naruto noticed. 

"Are you okay? Your ears a completely red," Naruto reached out to touch them but Shikamaru backed away a bit. The Nara tried pulling away but they were still holding hands. "Shikamaru stops it, I just want to make sure you're okay." 

He leans down and connects their foreheads. Shikamaru's face turned a darker shade as he stared into lively blue eyes. "Pretty," He murmured in a daze, Naruto tilted his head and his eyes lit up with confusion. "Your eyes. They're very pretty." 

Naruto smiled and pulled back. "Thanks, Shika, you don't seem to have a fever so just tell me if you feel ill. I'll rush you over to the infirmary." 

Shikamaru nodded and the two continued to class. 'You're the sick Naruto. Why are you so oblivious?' Shikamaru only had himself to blame. He was the one in love, he was the one who chose this hill to die on and he would stay there because Naruto was just that worth it. 

In class the blonde played with his fingers and kept whispering silly things in his ear, not noticing how flustered Shikamaru got as he continued these little things. Shikamaru couldn't handle how Naruto's lips brushed his ear when he spoke. He wasn't even saying anything devious, just chatting about a new game he had back in his apartment. When class was done, Naruto thankfully pulled away and Shikamaru released a breath of relief. 

"Naruto you can't do that," Shikamaru told him, the blonde looked over at him confused. "My ears are so sensitive and you know that. Keeping a straight face was so difficult." 

"I'm sorry Shika, you should've whispered back I would have stopped," Naruto said genuinely upset that he had inconvenienced Nara. Shikamaru couldn't be upset with that, he was soft to the other. On the way out of school, he and Naruto often did window shopping. 

Well, Shikamaru window-shopped, Naruto just bought them for him even though he protests. It became a regular for Shikamaru to become embarrassed by the blonde spoiling him so blatantly. Today was no different from Naruto who bought his favorites from the local bakery. "It's so good to see a sweet boyfriend once in a while," One of the employees commented, Shikamaru turned away while Naruto tilted his head looking confused. 

"We aren't dating," Shikamaru murmured but it was loud enough for the employee to hear. 

"We're best friends," Naruto told them with no shame. The employee looked at the blonde, then Shikamaru before rolling their eyes so far into their head that others began chuckling. 

"You're an oblivious one, aren't you?" They sighed as if they themself were the ones being wronged. They turned to Shikamaru with a knowing smile before lining Naruto up with a serious look. "Take a look at your actions before feeding me bullshit. No best friend buys food for the other, they steal from each other!" 

Naruto smiled awkwardly at the situation but didn't interrupt them. Shikamaru noted her name "Y/N it's okay, calm down," Shikamaru tried but they turned to him, flipping him off. 

"I can't watch this, it's painfully obvious he loves you," They said folding their arms, they turned away with a huff. "I can't take angst, get it out of my face please." 

"Umm, Shika?" Naruto turned to him but Shikamaru felt helpless. 

"Listen to me blonde boy, get this through your head," They started with a knowing look. "That shortie over there, you love him. This isn't the first time I've seen you two here. I've been keeping tabs. You hold his hand, intertwining fingers. You spoil him rotten and you're never more than a foot away. You feed him the baked goods, never letting him pick them up at all. You stroke his hair and cup his cheeks, commenting how cute he is when he eats." 

As they were talking Naruto had a dawning look on his face as it registered that they weren't wrong. He does do all of that when they come here and judging from Shikamaru's mortified face, he knew that they weren't wrong. Naruto started blushing as he thought of being intimate with Shikamaru, his heart couldn't handle those thoughts. Judging from the smug look on their face Naruto knew they got their wanted reaction. 

"Now get out and sort out this," They waved the future couple off with a wide grin. Naruto and Shikamaru stood awkwardly outside before Shikamaru manned up and dragged Naruto away to a nearby park so they could eat. 

Almost automatically Naruto tried to feed him but had to stop now that he knew how his actions might be interpreted. Shikamaru watched him nervously before opening his mouth to be fed. 'Shika,' Naruto thought fondly as he fed Nara. Normalcy set between them and Naruto nearly forgot what brought them to such awkwardness but an elderly gay couple brought them to reality. 

"Aren't they sweet? We were like that when we were younger," The man laughed sweetly to his partner who was holding his hand. "You love strawberry cheesecake, right? Let's get a slice at the bakery."

"Sure honey, come on take it easy, you know your bones act up when you move too quickly," His partner chided but he was smiling, he waved to the boys. "Take things slow, you have all the time to bond before you end up like us. Two elderly men fighting for a remote." 

"Don't embarrass them, come on we're getting cheesecake," The other man gave the boys a smile before they continued their way to the bakery. 

As they got out of sight Shikamaru turned to Naruto. 'I really have nothing to lose, I guess?' 

"I love you," Shikamaru said with a small smile. "I've been in love with you for years now." 

Naruto turned to him and broke out into a smile. "I guess my actions spoke clearly but you weren't sure?" 

"You have no idea, I was terrified you'd reject me," Shikamaru chuckled softly. 

"I would never reject you Shika, I'm completely enamored with you. I guess I didn't realize how deep my feelings for you run. Deeper than a close friendship. I love you too," Naruto confessed as he held the other hand. 

Shikamaru shifted closer and Naruto took the hint and leaned down to kiss him. 

Naruto wasn't oblivious anymore.