john

jane
'59

"Honestly George? you'll look like a mushroom!" the girl exclaimed followed by a short breathy laugh, George kicked the pebbles beneath his feet before glancing up at his bestfriend.

They were cousins really, second cousins, but they were bestfriends at heart. Always together, they lived next door to one another so they had become used to the constant presence of one another.

"Paul said it's necessary or some crap, if we want a record deal the haircuts will help us out-"

Her laugh was bellowing as she pictured her friend's life changing hair growth. "I can't wait! You always said you wanted a nickname when we were kids- now you'll get quite a few with a mop top son" she said in a groggy voice, George rolled his eyes but his smile lit up the street around them "You don't even sound like John when you do that voice!" he called after the girl as she sped up towards the store on the corner.

"Say...how is John?" Jane asked with a small smirk as they entered their favourite shop of all time, "Morning Buck!" the girl grinned politely with a wave to the shop keeper.

Bucky's was the local record shop, the best in Liverpool– at least thats what it said on the window.

George and Jane tried to visit once a week, most days they didn't have any money to blow but it was still fun to imagine owning so many records. It was a dream.

"One day Janey, one day i'll be able to buy all the records in the world" George muttered while scrolling through the crates with a frantic look in his eye, obviously searching for something specific. The owners liked the Harrison boy and the red headed girl mainly because, despite his matching hairdo, he was nothing like the other local boys who would try and steal their stock any chance they got.

"Hey look out there" Jane hissed pointing to the narrow window by the door, George looked up while pulling a small paper sleeve from the sales crate– the ones that were slightly scratched would be in there, they were more affordable though.

"You think they'll come in?" Jane asked nervously, turning to fix her hair in the reflection of the window beside her quickly, George rolled his eyes, yet again, waving at his two pals with a mischevious glint in his eye when he noticed they were making their way over.

"They've turned down the alleyway y'er fine doll" George lied and then went on to distract the girl by shoving another tape in her face, she nodded "Alright George" she sighed, "you're like a puppy" he nudged her back with a chuckle.

"Look who it is! little George Parasol!" a voice interrupted from behind.

Jane glared at her cousin who smirked in return, "Alright John" he greeted not moving his eyes from his flicking hands, their was a hum from behind followed by the sound of a lighter being fired up. "Where do you two get the money to come down 'ere and shop all the time eh?" Paul asked, also like a puppy as he spotted something rare in George's hand- which he snatched and moved to show John, who was preoccupied with his staring.

"Jane" he stated slyly, balancing the familiar small paper stick between his lips as he struts over confidently, an aura of cockiness imprinted permanently on his leather jacket and over gelled hair.

"What are you doing hanging out with scum like our Haz hm?" the boy asked before pulling his cigarette from between his lips and letting out a puff of smoke, George glared mockingly pretending to be scared of the slightly older boy by shaking in mock horror.