Chapter eight - Threatened

Jace shook his head sighing as he made his way back to the doctor's office. That had definitely not gone the way he thought it would. He could tell Bree was hiding something but she was so guarded he couldn't even conduct a simple statement questioning. She frustrated him to no end and he couldn't even explain why.

Walking into the doctor's office Jace could see his father along with a few other guards. "She says she didn't see anything."

The doctor was the only one to look up when Jace spoke. "Still having trouble with her memory, Jace?"

"That's what she claims." Jace said, finally catching his father's attention.

"And you don't believe her, son?"

"I don't know, Dad. What reason would she have for lying? No. Actually don't answer that. I'm almost 100% certain that she had nothing to do with what happened to the leader. What I'm not sure about however is if she's hiding something but everyone has their secrets, right Dad?" His father grunted and went back to his discussion. Jace hung around the door trying not to look like he was eavesdropping.

"...bad enough that a threat like that happened in plain view, now we have someone strong and smart enough to see and take down the threat before the guards even realize what's happening. That's a potential threat waiting to happen. We need to find this person and bring them in for questioning..." Jace left the room.

When he got to the cafeteria he looked to the furthest, darkest corner of the room and spotted Bree. She was curled up on her seat eating while watching the interactions around her. She jumped when she finally noticed Jace approaching. "You again?" Her eyes narrowed. "I told you all I have to say. Will you just leave me alone? Jeez, a week ago you didn't even know my name now it seems like you can't stop talking to me."

Jace was again surprised that with her boldness he had never noticed her before. "And what makes you think I haven't noticed your beautiful self before?" He quirked an eyebrow and watched as her glare faltered. "Anyway that's not the point. I came here to ask who you're protecting?"

"Excuse me?" Bree looked genuinely confused. "Have you finally lost it?" 

"No, not at all my dear, Bree. See I happen to know some things that you don't - or rather that you're pretending not to. I want to know what you're hiding, Bree. Why are you making this so hard?"

"I'm not hiding anything you don't already know. You can't pretend you haven't already read my file. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd read it while I was still in the hospital." Jace raised his eyebrows, impressed at how right she was.

Choosing honesty as his best policy Jace said, "If you haven't noticed, Bree, your file is quite...empty."

"I've noticed."

Jace sat down with a sigh. He didn't know what was happening to him, why he cared so much. Jace knew he was being rude and a little too intense but for some reason he couldn't help himself. It was like he had to know the answers. Resolving again to figure Bree Micheals out Jace unpacked his lunch.

"What are you doing!?"

Jace looked up. "Eating?"

Bree stared at him for so long that Jace continued to eat his sandwich. "B-but why?"

Again, Jace looked up. "Because I'm hungry?"

"So you just came here to what? To eat?"

Jace nodded with a smirk. "That is what people come to the cafeteria to do, Bree."

"And what about me protecting someone or hiding something? You don't care about that anymore?"   Bree was visibly getting frustrated with Jace but he couldn't care less.

"What about it? It's not like your going to break anything shocking to me anytime soon, correct?"

After a slight pause Bree nodded slightly.

When the bell rang Jace packed up his things and left without a word, leaving a speechless Bree in his wake. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Hey!

So, I have most of the plot for this story worked out now! There's a decision in store for Bree, hopefully lots more Jace/Bree moments & a big challenge for the Elites as a whole! Hope you guys like, please vote/comment. :)