steve rogers { iii

⤷ mcu

𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐄 you've been stabbed in the stomach and Steve is staying with you as you die

"Hey, hey, (y/n), you're going to be just fine." You crack a smile, trying to keep strong for him through the pain.

"You and I both know that's not true." You wheeze out, trying your best not to cry, but the ash in the air is stinging your eyes.

"This isn't exactly what I imagined it being like."

"I know." He says, and stares at the ground.

"It's sort of heroic though, don't you think?" He smiles for you then, looking at your broken face, still holding your own smile, trying your best not to show you're scared.

"Yeah. Yes it is." You groan in pain, the blood flowing over your fingers, pressed to your abdomen. You raise a weak hand up to Steve's face, not wanting to go, not even a little bit.

"I love you." You say, your voice failing, panic in it. He holds your head up a little more, supporting your body, tears streaming lines through the soot on his face.

"I love you too." You flutter your eyelids closed, and a little puff of air leaves your nose as your body goes limp. The hand placed on his face falls, already beginning to take on the falling ash.

"Please, don't leave me." He cries, his voice cracking and his hands trembling. He slowly removes his bloodied hand and sets your head down gently. He looks at your still body, so strange because you were always moving. He presses a kiss to your forehead, and grabs his shield from his back. He wasn't ever going to stop seeing your ashy face there, the world falling apart around him. He wouldn't ever forget the life you wanted to live, or the things you wanted to see. It would haunt him and hold him until the end, but that was okay, because you were all he ever wanted. 

━━━━

( this 100% broke me while writing it, but that's okay... also sorry )