The D'Silver x Clarke Collaboration - Mason

Driving home from my placement, I take in the scenery of Oxford, I'd chosen Riach Architecture not just because they're one of the best firms but because Oxford has something important that the other cities don't.

Evie D'Silver.

This year was supposed to be our year, she'd be graduating this year and I'd be working at my placement but we'd be in the same city. It was always unpredictable what would've and could've happened between us but nobody could've predicted this. Though unorthodox, we were practically in the position I'd hoped we'd be in, because when I get home Evie will be there with Callie.

That alone is reason enough to smile.

I pull into the drive, practicing opening the door quietly just in case Callie's sleeping. But I'm in luck, as I slowly walk into the front room. Evie's holding Callie in a black baby carrier that dominates Evie's petite body, her chubby legs dangling as Evie plays piggy with her toes, kissing the top of her head as she jigs herself up and down to provide rhythm for Callie to sleep. She's reading from flash cards, then recites them in a sing song tone to entertain Callie, she's smiling, happy and clearly in her element.

It's clear as day by her actions that she loves Callie, it's funny to think that we'd been worried about how a baby would impact the relationship we have. It was just assumed that the baby would tear us apart but from the moment Callie was born she pulled us tighter together. Evie assumed that I wouldn't have any time for her but not a day's gone by without talking to her. Not that I could if I try, she's my family, Evie has my back, she's there for me, makes me feel loved and appreciated. Relocating to Oxford for the year to be close to her has been one of my better decisions in life. It's a peaceful city with great architectural history from Saxon to Postmodern yet everything pales in comparison to walking around Oxford with Callie in the stroller and Evie holding my hand. Somehow we've become a family unit, quicker than cooking a pot noodle really but I'm not complaining. The only thing I can complain about in this whole situation is not being with Evie, in the sense of our friends with benefits relationship. I want that element back in our relationship but I'm not sure what Evie wants, I don't want her to feel pressured into rekindling. She'd been considerate in the past to think about how much I'd have on my plate. I can easily show her the same respect.

Even if there are moments, like this one, where I would just watch her candidly and want her.

I knew that by declining a paternity test that I might not be able to be with Evie anytime soon. That'd been an excruciating decision to make, best case scenario I'd be with Evie with no complication and finally rid of Jodie once and for all. But the harm that could do to Callie is something I can't bear the burden of carrying. If Jodie fails to care for Callie properly and I didn't put my name on the birth certificate anything could happen to her in the care system. It sounds pessimistic but Jodie failing Callie is inevitable, based on everything I've seen so far and I've seen enough in seven weeks. If Jodie continues her lack of interest in her daughter it won't be long till I'm raising her as a single father. Not that I'd mind that at all, well not entirely a single father, it'd be bliss if Evie co raised her with me. Coming home to this every night is relaxing and peaceful, content in her own world, Evie still hasn't noticed me watching, not that I mind that either. Perhaps one day, in a perfect dream world, Callie's last name would become D'Silver-Clarke, a by product of our care and love for her.

"Hey you" she murmurs, finally noticing that she has an audience, closing the distance between us, I kiss the top of Callie's snoozing head then Evie's forehead, before hugging her gently, careful not to squish Callie.

"Hey you yourself"

"Good day?" She murmurs in my arms.

"Good day. How has today been?"