Forty Five

Ilya: 

My eyes are on the TV. The news reporter is explaining the scene. Superman is standing on Capitol Hill with what he's calling the Regime. What's left of what once was the Justice League of America. They're making it official. Superman is being acknowledged by the American government. They're using what happened in Metropolis as the foundation of their actions. It's nothing too drastic yet but it's clear that they have influence everywhere. With the casualty count and videos of the remains, they have the public's attention. There are a lot of angry people who want justice for Metropolis. 

I looked away and continued to pack everything we'll need up. Bruce is still watching. As of late, he's been acting more and more like himself. The pain is beginning to subside and his clouded thoughts are starting to surface. I think it's the same thing for me. What I did was reckless. I shouldn't have acted the way I did. Lex really hasn't given me much to go on, but the bigger part of me knows he's going to try to help. 

"We're ready," Tim announced when he took the box from me. "Let's get out there," 

"Ilya?" Bruce turned to look at me. 

"Yes?" 

"Let's go for a ride. Alfred, Ilya and I will meet you there," 

"Master Bruce?" Alfred stopped us. "As Wayne's?" 

"Yes, Alfred. The public might not care for Batman, but we still get a say in what happens in our city," he nodded. 

"Very well. Do be careful," Alfred motioned the others to follow. 

"I'll get dressed to look the part," I agreed. 

He didn't say a word. I haven't worn anything nice in a while. I might have gone a little overboard but I'm sure my dad will appreciate it. I looked down at my jewelry box to see my wedding bands. I smiled remembering how we had woken that poor jeweler up in the middle of the night to get these. Jason has offered to replace them a few times but I love them and I wouldn't change them for the world. 

"Ready?" Bruce asked. He's gone a little overboard himself. 

"Father," I bowed my head. We both laughed. "I forget how much fun this side is sometimes. How utterly vulnerable but powerful it can be," 

"I agree," he nodded. "We're going to start here. We'll keep moving towards Gotham to get their attention. If he holds nothing back, you shouldn't either. Do not hold back," 

"Perfect. Do you have a speech ready?" 

"I plan to wing it. I learned that from my daughter," he smiled. 

"Let's hope you live up to it," I winked. He chuckled. "Before we walk out there together, I want to apologize for how I acted. It wasn't my place to say anything. I could have handled things differently. I was childish and irrational. It's been a while since I've been out on the field and I let my emotions get the best of me. I was taught better than that," 

"You were right," he cleared his throat. "We both acted out. So much was happening at once and we were trying to stay on top of it all without knowing what all the pieces were. You were trying to fix things as fast as possible and I wanted to show you that things weren't going to work that way this time. I trust you. I know you mean to do the right thing. We're always so in sync that I forget that you can be-" 

"Naive?" I laughed. 

"No, that's the last thing you are. You see the good in people. People most of us have already given up on. That's not naive. It's a quality we're going to need moving forward. It's going to be difficult deciphering friend from foe,"