Thirty Five

Billie Eilish- IDONTWANTTOBEYOUANYMORE

Ilya: 

Donna is the perfect person to be with right now. She doesn't care to ask about anything and I don't want to talk. I cut my list in half, gave her some money, and we agreed to rendezvous back at the Nissan we had borrowed. Stolen, borrowed. Same thing. 

I got what I need and got to the check-out lane as quickly as I could. I didn't want to wait in line but if I went through the self check out the cameras are sure to recognize me. Diana and Clark had made a list of public enemies and I am the second name on that list. The girl ringing me up didn't even try to look up at me. We made it to the car without any interruptions. 

"Any trouble?" Donna asked jumping into the back seat to put everything in the bags into the two backpacks we brought. 

"No," I answered starting the car with my switchblade. 

"Feels a little too good to be true," she shrugged. 

"Yeah," I agreed. I drove back to the parking lot we had stolen the car from and parked it back in the place we had found it. She tossed me a backpack as we made our way to my stashed car. 

We made it back to base without any trouble. Bruce, Elizabeth, and Roy are back. Dick let me know he was taking Damian with him. I set out things down began to unpack. Bruce continued on the monitor. 

"Where is everyone?" Bruce asked after a while. 

"Sent Dick where you wanted him. Damian is with him. They should be back by morning. I sent Oliver and Jason to get something for me in Metropolis," he turned his chair around to face me. Everyone turned to look at us. 

"What did you need?" 

"Old scans of Clark's head," I answered. He sighed. "I know what you're going to say," 

"He's not going to let us fix him, Ilya," exactly what I thought he was going to say.

"I don't plan on asking for his permission. What do you plan to do? Kill him if we have a shot?" 

"You had a shot," Elizabeth said spinning in her chair. "You should have taken it," 

"I would have," Roy added. Bruce looked over at me probably wondering the same thing. 

"Do you remember when my mom died?" I asked looking up at Roy. "I know what it feels like to lose something that means everything. Had it not been for Bruce and Jason I would have lost my shit and killed a lot of people to get to the black mask. He's hurting. It kills me when the casualty count comes up on that screen. When they show her face. I can only imagine what it's doing to him. He killed her. He killed the love of his life and their unborn baby. What if it were Thea? What if it had been Jason? What if it were me?" 

"So, that's how you justify what he's doing?" Roy asked. 

"I'm not justifying anything. What he's doing is wrong. I understand that. Which is why I'm standing here and not by his side. Killing him makes me no better than what he's doing or what was done to him. They used things I created to help that lunatic fuck up his entire existence. Our existence. I have to make this right," 

"And we will," Bruce agreed. I swallowed the knot in my throat and continued to label the parts I got so when Tim gets here we can get to work. 

"Were you able to get what you needed from the Batcave?" I asked. 

"No, I wasn't able to keep him out the first time. I didn't think that's where he would go. It's on lockdown now. Everything I need is still in there. Well hidden,"