Eighteen

The Neighbourhood- Afraid

Dick: 

It's basically deja vu. You know, if deja vu had perfect hair and big blue eyes. Ilyasviel is nicer, less irritable, and a bit more understanding version of Bruce. I imagine this is how he would be if he had the influence of a mother in his life after Martha Wayne. He has many strong father figures, I can easily say that but a mother figure would have been good too. 

The way she moves around her plane checks things and writes them down is so natural. She explained that this is the first time she had taken it out for a spin and she was just making sure we'd get to where we are going in one piece. Jason has texted me a couple of times to check in on her and I really have nothing bad to report back.

"So, what are you planning to do when we do find her?" I asked as she logged what she had written down into the system of her computer. She glanced at me, the reflection of her glasses made me flinch. 

"Rose isn't that hard to reach. She's got some anger issues but she's still a good person. She's wild. I mean both her parents were highly decorated militants," 

"And mercenaries," 

"They were soldiers before they were mercenaries. The stuff they had to endure made them who they became. They found each other in the mess of their lives and created something beautiful. People who can create something as pretty as Rose aren't all bad. We just have to give her something she responds to," 

"Alright, what do you think that would be?" 

"Do not sleep with her, Dick," I laughed looking over at her. 

"What?" 

"I'm serious. People like Rose don't do one night stands or casually sleeping together. They fall hard and you will regret it for the rest of your life," 

"Do I seem like the type?" she sighed looking over at me. 

"Richard, you're with one of the most beautiful beings in the galaxy and you're still hung up on the girl who tossed you aside like it was nothing. She uses you to her own convenience and you love that shit. You are so the type," 

"Babs is still pissed that you dropped kicked her at Cassie's birthday dinner," 

"I'm still pissed she dumped my brother for no reason other than the fact that she was bored. I mean look at you. You're a catch. Kor'i knows that. It's time that you figure it out for yourself. You're just going to collect a bunch of pretty tens who have the ability to maim you and whoever you're dating," 

"So you get married the first time you fall in love and suddenly you're a love guru. You know Jay has a collection of pretty tens who have the ability to maim you right?" 

"Pft, I doubt that. They can try their best," I laughed at the confidence in her words. "We're almost there. I'm looking for a location to land," 

"Okay one more personal question before we land," she glanced at me taking her glasses off and nodded. 

"What is it?" 

"I can't ask Jason this question he evades it but what was it like to die?" she sighed looking down at the digital map on the screen in front of her. 

"I had forgotten. Talia had my memories clouded but with the right meditations, most of what happened came back. It wasn't dark for me. It was beautiful. Time was different there or maybe it was that there was no time because it felt like I was there for years. There was a woman. She told me that I wasn't going to be there long and that..." 

"You don't have to tell me everything. I just wanted to know you weren't alone. Maybe it was similar for Jason," 

"He wasn't alone," she said vaguely. The way she said it was almost angry. "I doubt there's a place he can go and stay alone for too long. Like I said, Jason has a way with women,"