1: Shadows (Revised)

Shadows.

I watched them outside my bedroom, watching their limbs move, trying to make out the scene.

I could not hear what the two bodies were speaking of, but I could guess the tension between the two. It was Jack, talking to one of his henchmen. The cops have been interpreting our moves, and on our last five heists, have nearly caught us.

One of the times, I had made it out without a leg. One of the police officers had brought a few of the station's dogs on the job and they swarmed me, biting off my leg until it was barely hanging on with muscle. It was extremely painful, which is quite the understatement. After my leg had been destroyed beyond repair, Jack decided to ask for help, and brought me to Mister Freeze. 

After treatment from Doctor Victor Fries, otherwise known as Mister Freeze, I had gotten a more than successful recovery. He had managed to make it as if the injury never happened, and I was in perfect shape, able to run and all after just six months. It took a lot of physical therapy and patience until I was back to mostly normal.

Of course, this kind of miracle work came at a price. Twenty million dollars, but I couldn't blame him, knowing what cause it went to. To his wife, Nora. He had paused his work to help me out, which was why I was glad I was not his enemy.

Joker, on the other hand, was not at all Mister Freeze's friend. It took a lot of convincing and a few favors, on top of the large sum of money, to receive help from him. 

Joker finally shooed the other man away, I could tell by studying the shadows. He walked back in, hand over his head. He looked beyond pissed.

He looked at my leg, then looked away. He hadn't let me do any more jobs after my accident, which angered me. I couldn't blame him, though. I still had a vicious scar around my leg, he had been right next to me when my leg was torn off. I can never forget the look of horror on his face.

He could never get over the fact that he couldn't help me sooner. He had picked me up as delicately as possible and rushed me out of there, blood soaking his suit. He had to replace his coat because of the amount of stains that had soaked into the previous one. 

We were in a tough spot at the moment, but we vowed we would get through these tough times. It's the price we had to pay for all the things we had done in our lives, but of course, we wanted to succeed in the end, and we were planning on it.

"Maybe if you bring me on the next job, I can-"

"No." he spoke firmly, eyes hard. I nodded slowly, then looked down at my leg. My stupid fucking leg.

"Gotham thinks I died from the accident. They would never suspect me jumping in with you." I spoke in a low whisper, hands clenching. I hated his lack of faith in me, but I had made a rookie mistake. I had backed into a corner, where I had no possible escape. I would make sure not to do it again.

"If you even walk out, they'll sick even more dogs and make sure they finish the job." he was trying hard to control his anger. I walked over to him, playing with his hair. He needed to re-dye it soon. He took my hand and placed it back at my side, too irritated for handsy interaction. 

"That's a risk I was prepared to take when I started this job. I'm doing this whether you like it or not. I'll rebel against you if you tell me otherwise." my eyes were serious, I have never listened to anyone else's commands. I had been obeying his commands for long enough. I had made a mistake, but that's all it was. A mistake. I could hold my own most of the time, I had perfected my powers enough to know how to push fear away and use my powers. Well, I hoped I could. The only way I could learn to do so was more field work. 

"Listen!" I shouted angrily, he whipped around to look at me in surprise. 

"What the fuck, Aurora?"

I flinched when he used my name, but then brushed it aside. We both weren't used to using our actual names.

"Just listen to me! There are many villains out there that could help us out. Who are our enemies and allies?" I questioned, he crossed his arms, not answering since he was too stubborn to. I groaned, then sat cross legged on the floor. He looked at my leg and flinched.

"Our enemies are Mister Freeze, and Poison Ivy, since everything seems to piss her off. Our allies are Bane, Zsaz, and Killer Croc." I continued. "What if we gained more allies? You and I, working together. I mean, it's obvious that some villains prefer Memoria over Joker, and other villains prefer Joker over Memoria. If we work separately-"

"Why not just write your will now, if that's the case?" he snapped, I was about to shout back, when Harley walked in, swaying her hips. She had just gotten her new outfit. She looked admittedly really good, pouting her thick lips at Jack.

"I'm with Memoria, it sounds like a good idea, puddin'." she replied, but all Joker did in response was wave his hand her way vigorously. She huffed, pouting out her lips more.

"Yeah, see?" I said, not grasping why Harley was so up for my side this time. I didn't think too much of it and placed my hand on Joker's shoulder now.

Joker was silent for a moment, he then hesitated. I knew he was stubborn, but this time, he had two against one, and he wasn't one to push a good idea away if it could possibly work in our favor. It'd be a lot of work, which he hated planning, but it was a damn good idea.

Harley turned her back on us, beginning to walk out of the room. 

".....Fine," Joker sighed as I placed my hands on his cheeks. He melted in my hold, relaxing considerably, his hands on top of mine. 

"See? We can work things out pretty well."

Little did I know, Harley was in the corner of the room with a big smirk on her face, as her plan was starting out reasonably.