14: Confrontation (Revised)

"Wow, this place is awesome!" Rue exclaimed as we landed, I chuckled.

"Not really."

"How could you say that? This is Los Angeles! The dream, right?

I chuckled. "It's not that surreal to me. Just the place I grew up. We'll go to my parents house, steal their money." I spoke bitterly, Rue gulped.

"Are you sure?" she asked as we sped down to my parent's house, looking at the window pensively. "That first? You sure you don't wanna sight see?"

"I'm not a tourist." I replied. and I'm positive." I nearly seethed, I was not looking forward to this. I'd rather sit on twenty thousand needles or see Harley naked then go see if these people were still there. I was pretty sure they had died. 

As I started to pull up, I recognized the cars in the driveway. The style of the house was the same, and it looked the same way I had left it. I shuddered, realizing the two monsters were still alive, as I recognized the scene in front of me. They were alive, they were still fucking alive, and hadn't said a word to me in over ten years.

I pulled into the long driveway of the large home, parking my car, my hands shaking as I turned to look at Rue. She was going to wait in the car as I walked up the steps to the front door of the prison I suffered in the first portion of my life. Rue knew this was personal, and to stay out of it.

I was going through so many emotions. Pain, anger, confusion. 

I knocked on the door, a woman with long, wavy black hair and blue eyes answered the door. "Hello, may I help you?" she asked, a small smile on her face. Although it had been so long, I recognized her almost immediately. She had a different demeanor, a different spirit when I saw her, and I wasn't afraid of her anymore. No, I was older, stronger, better, because I had spent my whole life without these monsters.

"You really don't recognize your own daughter?"

She froze, her eyes widening as she looked me up and down. Here we go. "A-Aurora?"

I nodded. My father limped over quickly, hearing the conversation with weary eyes. He had a cane now, his hair was slowly fading to grey, his green eyes still so lively. The same color of my eyes. He used a cane to walk now.

There was a long silence between my parents and I, my mother silently stepped to the side and let me in. I walked to the kitchen and sat down, they followed and sat with me.

"Aurora, we-....I mean-....What happened-....I-...." my mother couldn't speak, I gritted my teeth. Were they going to apologize? If they were, would it be out of fear? Pity? Guilt? I wasn't sure which one I'd be okay with, but I was sure none of them would be enough for me. None of those feelings could repair the broken heart of the little girl they abandoned. 

"Don't be scared. I'm not a monster." I growled, my father took my mother's hand and gave her a look. My mother slowly calmed herself, I sighed and closed my eyes for a moment.

"We haven't seen you since you left..."

I opened my eyes. "Yeah, when you dumped me off at an Asylum. Thanks, it made me see the bitter side of life. I went through absolute hell, do you know the kind of people who were there? Do you even understand how trashy and cold that was to drop off your own daughter there?" my voice got shakier by the second, rage building up, but I still did not lift a finger or resort to my powers. "All the things I'd seen...You didn't give me a fighting chance at a normal life." 

"We are so sorry..." a tear slid down my mother's cheek, her shaking, frail hand reaching over the table to take mine, but I pulled my hand away and I shook my head.

"You're only sorry because you are scared."

"No, no!" She said quickly, more tears coming. "We've been wanting to contact you, but we just didn't know where you were-"

"You guys used to be criminals. You should know how to track me down." I spoke. There was no excuse for their absence. 

"We made a bank account for you. Take all the money." my father said wearily.

"I can't b-...What?" I stopped speaking, shocked. They were offering me something that wasn't dirt? This wasn't like them. "Why do you care now?"

"After you left, we realized, we're getting old. We shouldn't have treated you that way, no child deserves it..."

"Well congrats, you made me a criminal!" I snarled, emotion building up inside of me. I was about to break down in tears. Every day of false hope, every insult, every birthday spent alone in my room swirled through my head, hitting me all at once. I got up, moving my chair back. "Funny how you all of a sudden give a shit. If you need me, I'll be in Gotham city with my fiance, and the people who make me feel loved."

My mother was shocked. "You're engaged?"

"Never thought this day would come, huh? Yeah I'm engaged. I'm engaged to The Joker, the biggest criminal in Gotham City, I-"

"T-The Joker?" my dad exclaimed, exchanging a frightful glance with my mother. They knew who he was, of course they would, every successful criminal could recognize a name drop. I laughed.

"Don't look so disappointed, father dearest. You taught me this life. He's real with me, and he's the only person that can bring me out of the hole you shoved me down. Thanks for the money, but all I ever wanted was a normal fucking childhood." I growled. I stormed out, slamming the door behind me, running to the car. I got in, driving away recklessly. I was mad, driving at 105 mph. Rue had wide eyes, but she stayed quiet. She could guess what had happened.

I parked in front of the bank, took every dollar out of the account they put for me, and went back to the private jet. I felt terrible, confronting the people who scarred me. All I needed was to be in Jack's arms and for him to comfort me.