11: Sirens (Revised)

Sirens.

A sound so familiar to me, it seemed to me like now was the worst time for them to be sounding. I was always ready for them, even in my sleep I was ready to get up and react in the best way I could. But now? Why now?

I was standing with Jack under a gazebo around the other side of town, two weeks after we had gotten back together. He was about to tell me something important, but now I would have to wait to find out what exactly it was.

"Aurora. Run." he said, lips pursed, eyes filled with panic.

"Jack, I-...I can't. They're too close. They'll get me, and I can't leave you." I choked, he looked angry now.

"Go or I'll make you."

"No." I growled. "I can tell we are surrounded, we can fight them off, Jack. We can do th-"

"Freeze! Put your hands in the air!" I turned to them, but the cops threateningly started raising their weapons.

"Leave us alone!" I screamed, throwing their police cars on top of them. Jack laughed, surprised.

"Well, doll, that was a first for you. I suppose this isn't the time to make a joke about hormones, huh?"

I was shocked at what I had just done, but I had done it for Jack, and that excuse was good enough for me. Cops were starting to get on my nerves.

I felt a bullet pierce my shoulder, I gasped in agony, falling slightly onto Jack. He held me by my waist, pressing a button on his phone. All of our henchmen started filing out, fighting the police while Jack took me to the car and brought me to the house. He lay me down on our bed, and started working on my shoulder. I bit my lip in agony.

"We have to change hideouts. Thank god they didn't catch us going here."

"Don't worry, doll. They wouldn't be able to."

"How bad is the wound?"

He pulled out the bullet with tweezers, I screamed out as the wound throbbed and started to gush. He began patching up the wound now. "Not so bad."

"Doesn't feel like it's 'not so bad'!!"

"Well, sweetie, it IS a gunshot wound...Come on, put a smile on that face. You look so sad." He was actually a very skilled medic, having done self-care for so long before he could afford a medic team, finalizing the wrap on my wound.

"Our alone time was ruined..." I huffed. I was wondering why he had brought me there, but now that time had been spoiled. 

He finished patching up the wound after putting medication on it. "Well, don't worry. We're alone now, aren't we?"

I thought back onto what was happening just before the sirens neared...

"Just take a nap, rest up," He said, walking to the vanity to re-apply his facepaint. His eyes were starting to run, the creases on his face showing harshly. I'd have to show him a good setting powder. He then crawled into bed with me, placing kisses along my body....

--

"Aurora, I got a surprise for you." was the first thing I heard when I woke up. I turned to see Jack, pulling up my sheets to cover my bare body. Our bedroom door was open, and Jack was peering in, fully dressed in his Joker uniform.

I yawned, pulling the covers over my head. "Close the damn door, I don't want the henchmen seeing me naked."

He walked in and closed the door, locking it. I took off the blanket, then started getting ready. "Where are we going?"

"Out." he fixed his tie and sat on the bed, waiting. I put on my clothes and shook my head, making my hair shine purple along with my eyes. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," I said, smiling softly. "So do you, darling."

"I know." he teased, looking at himself in the mirror and smiling.

"Babe, go brush your teeth."

"The thing is, I do. This is makeup. Thought you knew."

"Makeup on your teeth? Ewwwwie."

He sighed. "Not face makeup, dear. You've seen my teeth pearly white many times."

I smirked. I knew, I just loved to tease him. I pulled him so he was sitting on our bed and sat in his lap, playing with his hair. "True."

After getting ready, he brought me to another big gazebo. What was his deal with these things? It was in the back of our hangar where all the real work happened, and blocked by large buildings and gates. It was looking new, painted a soft white and blue with a little neat table in the middle, darling chairs to go with it. The table was clear with rich white legs, the chairs felt like they were a harder, heavier material that was colored white.

"This is nice." I smiled. "How long did it take to fix it up?" It was obviously redemption for what had happened earlier.

"No clue. Ask the henchmen, they did it." he snickered.

"They're all inside?" I frowned, looking at the building. "And they didn't ask why?" 

"Well, of course." he chuckled. I nodded as he took my hand in his. "Aurora...I love you with all my heart. You know that, right? I will be serious with you..."

I cracked a smile, trying to make it go down. I was thinking of blurting out "why so serious?" right now, but I knew it would kill the mood Jack was trying to set.

He paused, studying my goofy smirk, then went on, probably thinking the same thing I did.

"I love you, and-" he got down on one knee. Probably to tie his shoe or something, but he looked nervous.

Then, the blaring sirens came in.