9: Lips of an Angel (Revised)

A girl who was hated by her family, separated from events like family reunions, going to see a football game, going to block parties...A girl who wanted to be loved, turned into a girl with so much hatred towards her parents that she became what they feared the most. Was it revenge, or fate itself? Was it just bound to happen?

Would it have happened if her parents had been nice to her, treated her like a human being and tucked her in at night when she was a little girl? If they had read her bedtime stories, taught her how to ride a bike, how to drive, how to swim?

No, it probably wouldn't have, but it's not good putting all the blame on something that isn't a factor in my life anymore, and I need to blame myself, not anyone else. It isn't healthy, even though being a criminal isn't either. I probably have way more issues now than I ever did, but I overlook them. My past has made me stronger, and I can't look at myself as a sad child anymore.

No one in Gotham knew my history. My background is unknown. So is Joker's. We're the most mysterious criminals in Gotham.

Killer Croc was born with his looks, and went crazy from people making fun of him and being separated from family.

Catwoman was an orphan who learned karate and gymnastics to satisfy her need for money, to live in a stable home and be able to live normally.

Two-Face was burned in a horrible accident during the Holiday case. Burned by one of the biggest gangsters in Gotham, Salvatore "The Boss" Maroni.

But no one knows that Joker had a wife and a kid on the way, who both died from a tragic accident. He was in the criminal career to get a better home for his family, and was stuck in the deal, couldn't turn back even though he had no one to help financially but himself. He fell into the life of crime. And now, he loves it, since one bad day made him the way he is now. He thinks he grew from it, because nothing is more painful than his transformation into the Joker.

I'm not one to judge on his background, he is surely more successful, but not in the way everyone hopes to be.

I sat in my livingroom, eating some ice cream. The News was on, and apparently they caught wind that the partnership of Joker and Memoria were no more. Of course, all the people thought we were together, but since it was a coverup, the henchmen believed it was just fake. When it really wasn't. But that doesn't matter.

The henchmen were probably asking questions and dying of curiosity, though.

My phone buzzed, I answered the call without looking.

"Hello?"

"Aurora."

I sighed, recognizing the voice. It was Jack's. I had left his house three days ago, and now he calls?

"Took you long enough..." I muttered.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Oh..." he hesitated. "Uh, I want you back here."

"Didn't work out with Harley?"

"No, it's not like that, doll-"

"Don't you fucking talk to me like you're Joker. If you call me Aurora, we can talk to each other like regular people. Don't call me "doll", okay? Right now, you're Jack and I'm Aurora." I was flustered, why had I snapped like that?

"Alright, fine. But I really don't want to fight right now, just come back."

"Does Harley know you're on the phone with me right now?"

"No...She'd have a fit if I was. But I don't really care right now, I just need to hear your voice."

"Damn right she would have a fit. Why don't you go with her since you believe her more than you believe me?" I knew I was being stubborn, but he really deserved it.

"Aurora. I don't care about her."

"Answer a question for me."

"What is this...ah...question?"

"Are you still with Harley?"

There was silence on the other line.

"Baby, I'm not with her anymore, I know she, uhm, framed you. I'm so sorry for not believing you, and-"

"Jack, I-"

"Let me finish, woman!" he sighed, hearing my defensive tone. I shut up. "I should have never believed her over you, I should have never believed you lied about that whole Poison Ivy thing, I miss you."

"And what do you miss about me?" I sounded mad, but I was smirking. I wanted to hear him be affectionate to me. He wasn't that type of person to do so.

"I...Ah...I miss....I miss your kisses, I miss the way you fit perfectly in my arms when I hug you, how you cook amazing meals and sing while cooking, I miss having you next to me at night-"

"Jack, I have to go..."

"Aurora, no, wait, I-"

I hung up. I was shaking, close to tears. But I couldn't give in. He would have to do more to show me he was sorry. I couldn't have him doing this to me again, I had to be sure we'd never run into these situations ever again.