15: Future Plans (Revised)

I slammed the doors of the warehouse open, little pieces of paint chipping off when I did so. The building shivered slightly at the force. Jack was standing over a set of papers, turning as I entered. He looked at me, smiling.

"How was-..." his smile faltered and he turned all the way around, facing me when he saw the look on my face. I was biting my lip, tears threatening to spill, eyes red from the tears. My hands were balled up in fists, I was trying so hard not to cry. I couldn't. Crying was for losers.

He walked over to me, a slight frown on his face, eyes questioning me. When he got to me, he held my hands in his, gently kissing my cheek. "What happened, doll?"

I explained to him everything, shedding a tear in the middle of the story. Jack wiped the tear away and listened patiently to my story, then kissed me softly on the lips, resting his hands on my hips.

"Don't care about them. They're only going to bring you down." he gently grabbed my head and pulled it into his chest, I snuggled my face into a coat as he wrapped his arms around my small frame. I slipped my arms in his jacket and held him close, breathing in his signature scent: gasoline and gunpowder. 

"They wronged me, I can't help it..."

He kissed my forehead. "Well, sometimes you have to let things go to move on and be your best. You've always been held back because of the things your parents said, I could see it in you. But now, you have to opportunity to just forget them and deal with other things. Alright? I love you." he kissed me, I kissed back and put my hands on his cheeks, gently tracing his scars. I smiled softly, kissing him.

"You are so cute. It's weird, people see you completely differently than how you actually are. I love you, and everything you are." I wrapped my arms around his neck, resting my head on his chest. "I don't know what I'd do without you." 

He chuckled, then took my hand, playing with my engagement ring. "I'm having our rings made today."

"How do they look? I want to pick my own ring!" I pouted, he snickered.

"Don't worry, I know what you like. I got you a beautiful ring. Mine isn't bad either." 

I smiled. "Alright, fine, I trust you." I sat down on one of the lumpy couches. "Rue is back putting our stuff away, she took the car. Could you bring me home?"

"Sure, the boys are just counting all the money first. We robbed three banks at the same time." he smirked, I giggled at his expression. That's what happens when I leave him to his own devices. Trigger happy. 

"Do you expect on doing this your whole life?"

He was quiet for a moment. "It really depends. I'm not concentrating on the future yet, only the present. Why, what do you want in the future?" He sat down next to me, and I crawled over to him and sat on his lap, wrapping my arms around him. He held me by the small of my back, other hand rubbing my leg. 

"If I told you I wanted kids....Would you stay with me?" I looked at him in the eyes. "I'll stay by your side no matter what. You'll always be my honey." I smiled playfully. He chuckled.

"I don't know what I did to get someone like you," he snickered. "I've done enough that I have a first-class ticket to Hell."

Time to boost his ego. I ran my fingers up his chest lightly, watching as his breathing hitched at this action. "You're mysterious, handsome, funny, and secretly a sweetheart...." I kissed his cheek, I rubbed one of his face paint creases to touch it up. "Of course I love you. And, I mean, come on. Who else would you expect me to date? Someone like Bruce Wayne?"

We both threw our heads back and laughed at that one. A rich playboy with his whole future set in gold is not my type. No way.

"Well, time to go home, my dear. Your chariot awaits!" he got up, picking me up bridal style, carrying me to the van. He put me in the passenger seat, getting in with me. The car ride home was a lot more relaxing than the plane ride back here, but I was right. Jack managed to calm me down.

"So, what do you think about kids?" I questioned once we were at home, laying in our bedroom under the covers, my head on his chest.

I gently traced my fingers along his chest, he sighed.

"I'm scared I'll be a crappy father like mine was." when he said that, he slightly tensed. "And...What happened to Jeannie..." He ran his finger through his hair. 

"We have enough money to put twelve kids through the most expensive colleges in the world. If we have two or three, they'll be set for life."

"Look at us. Are you sure we should be doing that?" he asked. It was odd, seeing him so serious, but this was a serious conversation. This was a big life change.  

"I want our occupations to be a secret so they can chose on their own who they want to be." I spoke. "I don't want my babies to be cursed with this profession."

"Cursed?"

"Your father had criminal tendencies. My parents had criminal tendencies. We both have major criminal tendencies. I don't want them to play into them, I don't want them to feel sucked into it." I said softly, I propped myself up on my shoulder. "So what do you say?"

"Well, I want what you want," he started, then licked the inside of his cheeks. "Since I'm spending the rest of my life with you. But I can't guarantee I'll be perfect for this. I never thought I'd get another chance at this, after everything that happened."

"Well, one step at a time," I mused, my hand holding his. I grinned. I had made the right choice by being with him. I kissed his cheek and thanked the world that, despite my awful upbringing, all the shit that'd happened me, I'd ended up with Jack. How did someone like me end up finding my perfect match?