24: Never Away For Too Long

I thought of Jack every day for the first five months, thinking of how it would have been if I stayed. I was seven months along, in my own house and in a different job. I worked at home on the computer as an author, and got a lot of money off of it. Who knew I was talented in writing?

Well, anyways, it's been five months since I've been gone, and I've convinced myself that leaving was the best thing for me. I mean, why would I stay after he said all those mean things to me? I'd be damned if I'd allow him to say such harsh insults to me. It was something I wasn't going to stand for.

The doorbell went off, causing me to put down paints. I was painting one of the rooms in my room blue, for the little kid that was coming. I was so excited for him that I forgot all about his asshole father. I walked over to the door and opened it, frowning when I found no one around. I was about to walk in when I noticed something on the ground. Curious, I bent down and picked it up. It was a box.

I looked around, then closed the door, opening the box slowly. I had no clue what it might be, but when the lid was off I was taken completely by surprise. I was more shocked than I was that someone knew my name and the new address I had.

It was a bouquet of flowers and a small, brown teddy bear. At the bottom of the box was a letter.

I frowned, opening the stiff piece of paper. I could tell it was written and read only once from how firm the folds were.

The words in the letter were peculiar...

"It has been so wet stones glaze in moss;

everything blooms coldly.

I expect you. I thought one night it was you

at the base of the drive, you at the foot of the stairs,

you in a shiver of light, but each time

leaves in wind revealed themselves,

the retreating shadow of a fox, daybreak.

We expect you, cat and I, bluebirds and I, the stove.

In May we dreamed of wreaths burning on bonfires

over which young men and women leapt.

June efforts quietly.

I've planted vegetables along each garden wall

so even if spring continues to disappoint

we can say at least the lettuce loved the rain.

I have new gloves and a new hoe.

I practice eulogies. He was a hawk

with white feathered legs. She had the quiet ribs

of a salamander crossing the old pony post road.

Yours is the name the leaves chatter

at the edge of the unrabbited woods."

It was a poem by Lisa Olstein. I recognized it well. It was titled "Dear One Absent This Long While". I sighed softly, knowing who it was from. It was from Jack. He knew I had a soft spot for poetry. It was so lovely, and he took the time to write it. I closed the note, hesitated, then grabbed my phone. I called him up, feeling the tears starting to fall.

"Hello?" came his rough, eager answer. I was silent for a moment, not wanting to admit to him that I forgave him, but then another part of me was wanting to get down on my knees and plead for him to apologize for hurting me, and me also pleading for forgiveness.

"You there?"

I almost forgot I was on the phone. I sighed, shaking a little.

"Uhm...Hey..."

"Aurora."

There was a silence again.

"Aurora, come home."

I bit my lip, trying to stop myself from sobbing and breaking down. Damn hormones.

"Are you sure you want the baby to-"

"Yes! I thought about it, and I do very much want a family with you...I'm so sorry...I'm a jerk.." he said softly, I shook a little. Tears were gonna flow. I started sniffling, shaking.

"Baby, you alright?" he asked comfortingly.

"Don't you ever leave me again, you asshole..." I spoke, words shaky as I spoke. He chuckled softly.

"I promise I'll be nice..."