Chapter III: The invitation of the Arlingtons

The next morning I was still shocked by the harsh words of Princess Arlington. I must admit that I thought the dance between me and the Duke had been quite special, but after speaking with his sibling I seriously doubted that. I had known of course that both the Duke and my brother were considered the Casanova's of London making love to women every other day, but still I felt like Liam and I really connected while dancing under the crystal chandeliers.

But I guess Princess Arlington was right after all. Who would know better than the Duke's own sister? Perhaps the Duke had only wanted to make me feel special. Maybe he would like the idea that I would believe him to have fallen in love with me. The Princess' words had woken me from that dream though and now I only felt deceived and naïve. I knew beforehand who Liam Arlington was, but still I had fallen for his charms like so many women before me.

Therefore I am silent during breakfast trying to forget the Duke at once. Luckily, my mother can't stop talking about the young men she and my father thought to be decent matches for me. There is a pile of letters already of suitable men, who are willing to court me. Some of those men will come by later that day to introduce themselves officially to me. Courting season has begun indeed!

There is also a letter, which is directed to me personally. This is kind of odd, since suitors usually write to the parents of the woman they are willing to court. I take the envelope rather curiously and my heart skips a beat, when I recognize the family crest of the Arlingtons. I open the letter and read the few lines on the rather thick embossed paper.

'Well?' my father asks impatiently.

'It's from Duke Arlington.'

'Liam Arlington?' he asks, amazed. 'What does he want?'

'He wants to thank me for the many dances we shared. He hopes to see me again pretty soon.'

My mother is exhilarated at that prospect, while my father only frowns. 'Isn't Duke Arlington Elias' friend?'

'Yes, he is,' my mother says soothingly, 'but he seems to be a very charming young man.'

'Charming indeed,' my father snorts. 'You mean a notorious womanizer?'

'He was very polite to me at least,' I say, feeling the need again to defend him. People were very quick in their assessment of the Duke indeed. Of course they were right, but secretly I still hoped there was more to this man than his stained reputation.

My father frowns. 'Although I think you're a very smart girl for getting the attention of a Duke, I'd rather have you taking a step back from him. Try to focus on other men, who are more trustworthy and more worthy of your attention.'

'But he has written to our daughter, Mr. Le Bon,' my mother says enthusiastically. 'I don't think he's ever done that before.'

'But still, his title notwithstanding, I don't think he is worthy of our daughter's attention. I want to marry you off to a decent man, not some scoundrel. Dancing with him has done you some good however. It attracted the attention of many proper suitors. So, forget the most desirable bachelor of London,' I blush vehemently, 'and choose a better man for yourself.'

Since my first visitor would arrive at two o'clock this afternoon I decide to take a walk through our gardens and the meadow beyond with Alice by my side, where Nicholas and Elias are already practicing their shooting skills. The weather is warm and sweet. The grass is as green as emerald and the apple trees near the northern border of our estate are in full bloom. I am always very comfortable at revelling in the spring fragrances of flourishing blossoms and blossoming grass and flowers.